Apr 16, 2012, 11:12 AM EDT
It was almost inevitable, but a report is now surfacing that seems to confirm it.
Dan Rieffer of WTVQ in Lexington is reporting that Kentucky sophomore Terrence Jones will be headed to the NBA draft.
Jones averaged 12.5 points and seven rebounds for the national champion Wildcats in 2011-12, turning up the intensity down the stretch as UK pushed toward the title.
Draft Express projects Jones to be selected with the 11th overall selection in the 2012 draft.
According to Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv, though, there has been no official word from Kentucky on Jones and the other possible early entrants, including Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Doron Lamb, and Marquis Teague.
All five could end up in the draft, which means, along with graduating senior Darius Miller, the Wildcats could lose six players.
Don’t fear for coach John Calipari, though. He is already reloading with his 2012 class.
Nerlens Noel, the No. 1 prospect in the country, gave his signature to play for Kentucky this past week. He joins McDonald’s All-Americans Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress, along with highly touted center Willie Cauley.
Those early entrants who are looking to declare for the draft have until April 29 to do so, which is the deadline set by the NBA. The NCAA’s April 10 deadline has come and gone, but it has since been criticized as unnecessary, as players can still leave for the draft, so long as they do so before April 29.
- 2014 Big Ten Tournament Preview: Can Michigan State turn things around? 0
- Bracketology: Gonzaga grabs WCC title, BYU waits 0
- 2014 Pac-12 Tournament Preview: No. 4 Arizona looks to cap dominant campaign 1
- 2014 Mountain West Tournament Preview: San Diego State, New Mexico clear favorites in Las Vegas 0
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)