Apr 16, 2012, 11:12 AM EDT
It was almost inevitable, but a report is now surfacing that seems to confirm it.
Dan Rieffer of WTVQ in Lexington is reporting that Kentucky sophomore Terrence Jones will be headed to the NBA draft.
Jones averaged 12.5 points and seven rebounds for the national champion Wildcats in 2011-12, turning up the intensity down the stretch as UK pushed toward the title.
Draft Express projects Jones to be selected with the 11th overall selection in the 2012 draft.
According to Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv, though, there has been no official word from Kentucky on Jones and the other possible early entrants, including Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Doron Lamb, and Marquis Teague.
All five could end up in the draft, which means, along with graduating senior Darius Miller, the Wildcats could lose six players.
Don’t fear for coach John Calipari, though. He is already reloading with his 2012 class.
Nerlens Noel, the No. 1 prospect in the country, gave his signature to play for Kentucky this past week. He joins McDonald’s All-Americans Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress, along with highly touted center Willie Cauley.
Those early entrants who are looking to declare for the draft have until April 29 to do so, which is the deadline set by the NBA. The NCAA’s April 10 deadline has come and gone, but it has since been criticized as unnecessary, as players can still leave for the draft, so long as they do so before April 29.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)