Apr 16, 2012, 11:12 AM EST
It was almost inevitable, but a report is now surfacing that seems to confirm it.
Dan Rieffer of WTVQ in Lexington is reporting that Kentucky sophomore Terrence Jones will be headed to the NBA draft.
Jones averaged 12.5 points and seven rebounds for the national champion Wildcats in 2011-12, turning up the intensity down the stretch as UK pushed toward the title.
Draft Express projects Jones to be selected with the 11th overall selection in the 2012 draft.
According to Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv, though, there has been no official word from Kentucky on Jones and the other possible early entrants, including Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Doron Lamb, and Marquis Teague.
All five could end up in the draft, which means, along with graduating senior Darius Miller, the Wildcats could lose six players.
Don’t fear for coach John Calipari, though. He is already reloading with his 2012 class.
Nerlens Noel, the No. 1 prospect in the country, gave his signature to play for Kentucky this past week. He joins McDonald’s All-Americans Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress, along with highly touted center Willie Cauley.
Those early entrants who are looking to declare for the draft have until April 29 to do so, which is the deadline set by the NBA. The NCAA’s April 10 deadline has come and gone, but it has since been criticized as unnecessary, as players can still leave for the draft, so long as they do so before April 29.
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 0
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 0
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)