Apr 16, 2012, 10:36 PM EDT
Ohio State already faced a daunting task of replacing Jared Sullinger and William Buford next season. Now it’ll have less depth, too.
Reserves J.D. Weatherspoon and Jordan Sibert announced Monday they’ll transfer. Neither were crucial to the Buckeyes’ 31-8 Final Four season – they combined for 6.0 points and 2.5 rebounds a game – but their departures leave Ohio State with just nine scholarship players next season without any incoming freshmen as of yet.
Neither have a destination in mind. They just want more playing time.
“J.D. has done everything we’ve asked,” coach Thad Matta said in a release. “I can relate to a young man’s desire to play. I was in his shoes during my collegiate career. His teammates and our staff appreciate the hard work J.D. has put in to make our team better. We wish him nothing but the best.”
The Columbus Dispatch reports prospect Amedeo Della Valle could step into one of their roles. He’s a 6-4 shooting guard who makes his official visit to the OSU campus on Tuesday.
Transfers Anthony Gill (making a visit this weekend) and Rodney Hood also are possibilities.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)