Apr 16, 2012, 10:36 PM EDT
Ohio State already faced a daunting task of replacing Jared Sullinger and William Buford next season. Now it’ll have less depth, too.
Reserves J.D. Weatherspoon and Jordan Sibert announced Monday they’ll transfer. Neither were crucial to the Buckeyes’ 31-8 Final Four season – they combined for 6.0 points and 2.5 rebounds a game – but their departures leave Ohio State with just nine scholarship players next season without any incoming freshmen as of yet.
Neither have a destination in mind. They just want more playing time.
“J.D. has done everything we’ve asked,” coach Thad Matta said in a release. “I can relate to a young man’s desire to play. I was in his shoes during my collegiate career. His teammates and our staff appreciate the hard work J.D. has put in to make our team better. We wish him nothing but the best.”
The Columbus Dispatch reports prospect Amedeo Della Valle could step into one of their roles. He’s a 6-4 shooting guard who makes his official visit to the OSU campus on Tuesday.
Transfers Anthony Gill (making a visit this weekend) and Rodney Hood also are possibilities.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)