Apr 16, 2012, 2:58 PM EST
Xavier (literally) got some big help in the frontcourt on Monday afternoon, as 6-9, 290-pound Western Michigan transfer Matt Stainbrook tweeted that he would be headed to play for Chris Mack.
He chose Xavier over Wright State and Bradley.
“After visiting, it was basically the academics, the athletics and the success they’ve had in the past,” Stainbrook told MLive.com of Xavier. “All of those schools are great schools. It came down to needing to have all three of those things.”
In his sophomore season, Stainbrook averaged 11.4 points and 6.8 rebounds per game, shooting 58% from the field for the Broncos.
“I’m looking at it as a fresh start,” he said. “It’s a clean slate for everything. I’m going to try to make the most of that.”
Seven-foot center Kenny Frease is graduating this year so, after sitting out a season, per NCAA rules, Stainbrook could help with that vacancy in the frontcourt.
Xavier finished 23-13 on the year, including 10-6 in the Atlantic 10. The Musketeers lost to Baylor in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)