Apr 16, 2012, 2:58 PM EDT
Xavier (literally) got some big help in the frontcourt on Monday afternoon, as 6-9, 290-pound Western Michigan transfer Matt Stainbrook tweeted that he would be headed to play for Chris Mack.
He chose Xavier over Wright State and Bradley.
“After visiting, it was basically the academics, the athletics and the success they’ve had in the past,” Stainbrook told MLive.com of Xavier. “All of those schools are great schools. It came down to needing to have all three of those things.”
In his sophomore season, Stainbrook averaged 11.4 points and 6.8 rebounds per game, shooting 58% from the field for the Broncos.
“I’m looking at it as a fresh start,” he said. “It’s a clean slate for everything. I’m going to try to make the most of that.”
Seven-foot center Kenny Frease is graduating this year so, after sitting out a season, per NCAA rules, Stainbrook could help with that vacancy in the frontcourt.
Xavier finished 23-13 on the year, including 10-6 in the Atlantic 10. The Musketeers lost to Baylor in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)