Apr 16, 2012, 2:58 PM EDT
Xavier (literally) got some big help in the frontcourt on Monday afternoon, as 6-9, 290-pound Western Michigan transfer Matt Stainbrook tweeted that he would be headed to play for Chris Mack.
He chose Xavier over Wright State and Bradley.
“After visiting, it was basically the academics, the athletics and the success they’ve had in the past,” Stainbrook told MLive.com of Xavier. “All of those schools are great schools. It came down to needing to have all three of those things.”
In his sophomore season, Stainbrook averaged 11.4 points and 6.8 rebounds per game, shooting 58% from the field for the Broncos.
“I’m looking at it as a fresh start,” he said. “It’s a clean slate for everything. I’m going to try to make the most of that.”
Seven-foot center Kenny Frease is graduating this year so, after sitting out a season, per NCAA rules, Stainbrook could help with that vacancy in the frontcourt.
Xavier finished 23-13 on the year, including 10-6 in the Atlantic 10. The Musketeers lost to Baylor in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)