Apr 17, 2012, 4:09 PM EDT
Tom Crean isn’t the first coach to offer an 8th grader a scholarship. Heck, he isn’t even the first Indiana coach to do so. (Bob Knight offered one to Damon Bailey way back when.)
And you can hardly blame Crean for offering this one, either.
Eron Gordon, the younger brother of former Hoosiers star and current NBA player Eric Gordon was reportedly offered a chance to play for Indiana on Sunday night, according to the Indianapolis Star. The 6-1 guard will attend the same high school as his older brother, North Central (Indianapolis), but says he isn’t worried about following in Eric’s footsteps or matching expectations. He’s just trying to play ball.
Besides, lots could change between now and when he graduates in 2016.
When Tim Floyd offered Ryan Boatright a scholarship in 2007, Floyd wasn’t even around when Boatright finally played his freshman season (at UConn). And when Kentucky offered Michael Avery a scholarship back in 2008, the-coach Billy Gillispie wasn’t even around long enough to see him play high school ball.
Gordon’s also being recruited by Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin, so he might not even choose the Hoosiers.
The only thing I know for sure? Illinois is going to be very careful when it comes to handling Gordon.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)