Apr 17, 2012, 4:09 PM EDT
Tom Crean isn’t the first coach to offer an 8th grader a scholarship. Heck, he isn’t even the first Indiana coach to do so. (Bob Knight offered one to Damon Bailey way back when.)
And you can hardly blame Crean for offering this one, either.
Eron Gordon, the younger brother of former Hoosiers star and current NBA player Eric Gordon was reportedly offered a chance to play for Indiana on Sunday night, according to the Indianapolis Star. The 6-1 guard will attend the same high school as his older brother, North Central (Indianapolis), but says he isn’t worried about following in Eric’s footsteps or matching expectations. He’s just trying to play ball.
Besides, lots could change between now and when he graduates in 2016.
When Tim Floyd offered Ryan Boatright a scholarship in 2007, Floyd wasn’t even around when Boatright finally played his freshman season (at UConn). And when Kentucky offered Michael Avery a scholarship back in 2008, the-coach Billy Gillispie wasn’t even around long enough to see him play high school ball.
Gordon’s also being recruited by Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin, so he might not even choose the Hoosiers.
The only thing I know for sure? Illinois is going to be very careful when it comes to handling Gordon.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)