Apr 17, 2012, 4:09 PM EST
Tom Crean isn’t the first coach to offer an 8th grader a scholarship. Heck, he isn’t even the first Indiana coach to do so. (Bob Knight offered one to Damon Bailey way back when.)
And you can hardly blame Crean for offering this one, either.
Eron Gordon, the younger brother of former Hoosiers star and current NBA player Eric Gordon was reportedly offered a chance to play for Indiana on Sunday night, according to the Indianapolis Star. The 6-1 guard will attend the same high school as his older brother, North Central (Indianapolis), but says he isn’t worried about following in Eric’s footsteps or matching expectations. He’s just trying to play ball.
Besides, lots could change between now and when he graduates in 2016.
When Tim Floyd offered Ryan Boatright a scholarship in 2007, Floyd wasn’t even around when Boatright finally played his freshman season (at UConn). And when Kentucky offered Michael Avery a scholarship back in 2008, the-coach Billy Gillispie wasn’t even around long enough to see him play high school ball.
Gordon’s also being recruited by Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin, so he might not even choose the Hoosiers.
The only thing I know for sure? Illinois is going to be very careful when it comes to handling Gordon.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 6
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 1
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)