Apr 17, 2012, 4:09 PM EDT
Tom Crean isn’t the first coach to offer an 8th grader a scholarship. Heck, he isn’t even the first Indiana coach to do so. (Bob Knight offered one to Damon Bailey way back when.)
And you can hardly blame Crean for offering this one, either.
Eron Gordon, the younger brother of former Hoosiers star and current NBA player Eric Gordon was reportedly offered a chance to play for Indiana on Sunday night, according to the Indianapolis Star. The 6-1 guard will attend the same high school as his older brother, North Central (Indianapolis), but says he isn’t worried about following in Eric’s footsteps or matching expectations. He’s just trying to play ball.
Besides, lots could change between now and when he graduates in 2016.
When Tim Floyd offered Ryan Boatright a scholarship in 2007, Floyd wasn’t even around when Boatright finally played his freshman season (at UConn). And when Kentucky offered Michael Avery a scholarship back in 2008, the-coach Billy Gillispie wasn’t even around long enough to see him play high school ball.
Gordon’s also being recruited by Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin, so he might not even choose the Hoosiers.
The only thing I know for sure? Illinois is going to be very careful when it comes to handling Gordon.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)