Apr 17, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
Wisconsin will let Jarrod Uthoff transfer, but it’s unwilling to grant him complete freedom to choose a new school.
According to Metro Sports Report, the forward can’t transfer to a school in the Big Ten, the ACC, Iowa State or Marquette.
Uthoff surely knew that Big Ten schools and Marquette would be on the restricted list – that’s standard when it comes to players transferring; few coaches want a former player at a league rival – but the added restrictions came as a surprise.
“I just got an e-mail about it today from Wisconsin’s compliance office,” Uthoff told site. “I didn’t see it coming.”
Per NCAA rules, a school must receive permission to speak to transfer students. If it’s not granted, colleges can’t contact that athlete directly. If he eventually transfers to a restricted school, that school loses a scholarship he won’t be eligible to receive a scholarship for one year.
Uthoff has appealed the restrictions to Wisconsin’s compliance office.
The 6-8 forward was Iowa’s Mr. Basketball and the Gatorade state player of the year in 2011. He redshirted this season for the Badgers and could’ve been primed for a big season thanks to his shooting skills. But he says he wants a program that features an offense in which he’s more comfortable.
He’ll visit Creighton next week. And with any luck, Ryan won’t suddenly add the Bluejays to the restricted list.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- George Washington joins ‘cool court club’, redesigns home floor 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 12
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins