Apr 18, 2012, 10:44 AM EDT
Kentucky made it’s biggest splash on the recruiting trail last week when center Nerlens Noel signed on the dotted line but, according to Jason Jordan of ESPN, it may be Noel, himself, who helps to solidify the rest of the 2012 Wildcat class.
According to Jordan, Noel is confident that there is a little “over 50%” chance that Findlay Prep forward and Canadian native Anthony Bennett ends up with Kentucky.
Odds slightly more than the flip of a coin? It’s probably enough to make Wildcat fans hopeful.
Bennett has said that he will make his decision in early May and still has a list of five that includes Kentucky, UNLV, Florida, Oregon, and Washington.
He is a well-built, 6-8, 230-pound power forward, which would help to fill a vacancy left by Terrence Jones, who is departing for the NBA draft.
Kentucky will shuffle around pieces that include Ryan Harrow, Archie Goodwin, Alex Poythress, Kyle Wiltjer, and Nerlens Noel, but Bennett would add important size and depth down low.
He averaged 14.5 points and 7.7 rebounds per game this past season for Findlay Prep and sealed a victory for the World team in the Nike Hoop Summit with an arcing three with under a minute remaining.
Poythress turned down Florida to sign with Kentucky this past fall, so Bennett will be facing something similar in the coming weeks.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)