Apr 18, 2012, 10:44 AM EST
Kentucky made it’s biggest splash on the recruiting trail last week when center Nerlens Noel signed on the dotted line but, according to Jason Jordan of ESPN, it may be Noel, himself, who helps to solidify the rest of the 2012 Wildcat class.
According to Jordan, Noel is confident that there is a little “over 50%” chance that Findlay Prep forward and Canadian native Anthony Bennett ends up with Kentucky.
Odds slightly more than the flip of a coin? It’s probably enough to make Wildcat fans hopeful.
Bennett has said that he will make his decision in early May and still has a list of five that includes Kentucky, UNLV, Florida, Oregon, and Washington.
He is a well-built, 6-8, 230-pound power forward, which would help to fill a vacancy left by Terrence Jones, who is departing for the NBA draft.
Kentucky will shuffle around pieces that include Ryan Harrow, Archie Goodwin, Alex Poythress, Kyle Wiltjer, and Nerlens Noel, but Bennett would add important size and depth down low.
He averaged 14.5 points and 7.7 rebounds per game this past season for Findlay Prep and sealed a victory for the World team in the Nike Hoop Summit with an arcing three with under a minute remaining.
Poythress turned down Florida to sign with Kentucky this past fall, so Bennett will be facing something similar in the coming weeks.
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)