Apr 18, 2012, 6:30 PM EDT
Yesterday evening, Jason King of ESPN.com broke the news that Larry Brown was on the verge of being hired by SMU.
So every college hoops writer tweeted about it and many of them wrote about it. I did both. It was enough to make one believe that Brown had put pen to paper and signed on with the Mustangs and is currently planning out how he will attack April’s live-recruiting period.
The only problem?
Brown hasn’t actually accepted the job yet. He hasn’t even been offered the job yet, or so he told the Associated Press.
“They haven’t offered me the job, I haven’t accepted the job, and I would never do it without [my agent's] blessing,” Brown said. “I think before anything happens, Steve [Orsini, SMU's AD] would probably have to have his blessing from his president. That’s where we are.”
“I wouldn’t have gone to visit to SMU if I wasn’t interested. Matt Doherty is a good friend, and he told me a lot about it. The fact that they brought me in, I was thrilled. It was better than expected and I was thankful that they gave me a chance to visit with them. But really it’s in their court.”
So there’s that. For what it’s worth, Dan Wolken of The Daily tweeted earlier that Brown’s staff was already calling recruits.
I’m still saying that hiring Brown would be a good decision for the Mustangs.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte