Apr 18, 2012, 1:59 PM EST
Legendary Tennessee women’s head basketball coach Pat Summitt is stepping down after 38 seasons with the Lady Volunteers.
Summitt will be named an honorary head coach emeritus and assistant coach Holly Warlick will take over primary coaching duties.
“I feel really good about my decision,” Summitt told the Knoxville News Sentinel. “I think this is going to be a win-win situation for everybody. Holly and I will work really well together.”
In 1999, Summitt was inducted as an inaugural member of the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame and amassed an all-time record of 1098-208 at Tennessee.
In August of 2011, Summitt was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer’s disease, but remained on the sidelines to coach the Lady Vols to a 24-8 record this past season and a berth in the Elite Eight.
As head coach emeritus, Summitt can still attend practices and call recruits, but Warlick will have the majority of the head coaching responsibilities.
“I feel like Holly’s been doing the bulk of it,’’ Summitt said. “She deserves to be the head coach. I’m going to support her. No doubt, I’ll be there for her.”
Summitt was a 16-time SEC champion at Tennessee, a seven-time national coach of the year, and eight-time national champion.
“I support Holly Warlick being named the next head coach, and I want to help ensure the stability of the program going forward,” said Summitt in a release. “I will continue to make them my passion. I love our players and my fellow coaches, and that’s not going to change.”
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 0
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 1
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)