Apr 18, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
Almost immediately after Shabazz Muhammad joined 6-8 passer extraordinaire Kyle Anderson and sweet shooting wing Jordan Adams in the UCLA 2012 recruiting class, rumors started to fly that Miller Grove (Ga.) center Tony Parker would present a verbal commitment to the Bruins sooner, rather than later.
With a couple of false starts regarding the date and time for the announcement of his college decision, next Monday at 4 p.m. seems to be finalized for the top-25 big man to state his intentions. This list remains the same as it has for quite a while, with the Bruins, Georgia, Duke, Kansas, Memphis and Ohio State still all hanging tough. As it stands, it’s anybody’s guess where he ends up.
No one is ruling out Georgia for Parker’s services, though UCLA has been there all along, with strong Peach State ties in assistant coach Korey McCray (a former AAU coach of the Atlanta Celtics) and the appeal of playing with two top-5 players in Muhammad and Anderson. In terms of rebuilding a winning culture, Muhammad, Anderson and Parker all won state championships, and Adams was a member of the mythical national champion Oak Hill Academy (Va.) team. What seemed to be a pipe dream months ago, Georgia landing Parker, seems possible for now.
It also remains to be seen if Duke can add a second player to its recruiting class, and Parker would be ideal in that sense. For while they seemed to be at least in the conversation as the leader for Parker, but that has generally faded at this point. Beyond that, Kansas and Ohio State would both plant Parker on their frontline if they can pull him away from presumed favorites, but it would be a surprise to see him land at those schools or Memphis.
Still, in a tight-lipped recruitment thus far, it seems as if Parker’s ultimate decision could even be a surprise for the school he ends up at. By next Monday, the mystery should be revealed.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)