Apr 18, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
Almost immediately after Shabazz Muhammad joined 6-8 passer extraordinaire Kyle Anderson and sweet shooting wing Jordan Adams in the UCLA 2012 recruiting class, rumors started to fly that Miller Grove (Ga.) center Tony Parker would present a verbal commitment to the Bruins sooner, rather than later.
With a couple of false starts regarding the date and time for the announcement of his college decision, next Monday at 4 p.m. seems to be finalized for the top-25 big man to state his intentions. This list remains the same as it has for quite a while, with the Bruins, Georgia, Duke, Kansas, Memphis and Ohio State still all hanging tough. As it stands, it’s anybody’s guess where he ends up.
No one is ruling out Georgia for Parker’s services, though UCLA has been there all along, with strong Peach State ties in assistant coach Korey McCray (a former AAU coach of the Atlanta Celtics) and the appeal of playing with two top-5 players in Muhammad and Anderson. In terms of rebuilding a winning culture, Muhammad, Anderson and Parker all won state championships, and Adams was a member of the mythical national champion Oak Hill Academy (Va.) team. What seemed to be a pipe dream months ago, Georgia landing Parker, seems possible for now.
It also remains to be seen if Duke can add a second player to its recruiting class, and Parker would be ideal in that sense. For while they seemed to be at least in the conversation as the leader for Parker, but that has generally faded at this point. Beyond that, Kansas and Ohio State would both plant Parker on their frontline if they can pull him away from presumed favorites, but it would be a surprise to see him land at those schools or Memphis.
Still, in a tight-lipped recruitment thus far, it seems as if Parker’s ultimate decision could even be a surprise for the school he ends up at. By next Monday, the mystery should be revealed.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 33
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (35)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)