Apr 18, 2012, 3:29 PM EST
Almost immediately after Shabazz Muhammad joined 6-8 passer extraordinaire Kyle Anderson and sweet shooting wing Jordan Adams in the UCLA 2012 recruiting class, rumors started to fly that Miller Grove (Ga.) center Tony Parker would present a verbal commitment to the Bruins sooner, rather than later.
With a couple of false starts regarding the date and time for the announcement of his college decision, next Monday at 4 p.m. seems to be finalized for the top-25 big man to state his intentions. This list remains the same as it has for quite a while, with the Bruins, Georgia, Duke, Kansas, Memphis and Ohio State still all hanging tough. As it stands, it’s anybody’s guess where he ends up.
No one is ruling out Georgia for Parker’s services, though UCLA has been there all along, with strong Peach State ties in assistant coach Korey McCray (a former AAU coach of the Atlanta Celtics) and the appeal of playing with two top-5 players in Muhammad and Anderson. In terms of rebuilding a winning culture, Muhammad, Anderson and Parker all won state championships, and Adams was a member of the mythical national champion Oak Hill Academy (Va.) team. What seemed to be a pipe dream months ago, Georgia landing Parker, seems possible for now.
It also remains to be seen if Duke can add a second player to its recruiting class, and Parker would be ideal in that sense. For while they seemed to be at least in the conversation as the leader for Parker, but that has generally faded at this point. Beyond that, Kansas and Ohio State would both plant Parker on their frontline if they can pull him away from presumed favorites, but it would be a surprise to see him land at those schools or Memphis.
Still, in a tight-lipped recruitment thus far, it seems as if Parker’s ultimate decision could even be a surprise for the school he ends up at. By next Monday, the mystery should be revealed.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 1
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)