Apr 18, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
Almost immediately after Shabazz Muhammad joined 6-8 passer extraordinaire Kyle Anderson and sweet shooting wing Jordan Adams in the UCLA 2012 recruiting class, rumors started to fly that Miller Grove (Ga.) center Tony Parker would present a verbal commitment to the Bruins sooner, rather than later.
With a couple of false starts regarding the date and time for the announcement of his college decision, next Monday at 4 p.m. seems to be finalized for the top-25 big man to state his intentions. This list remains the same as it has for quite a while, with the Bruins, Georgia, Duke, Kansas, Memphis and Ohio State still all hanging tough. As it stands, it’s anybody’s guess where he ends up.
No one is ruling out Georgia for Parker’s services, though UCLA has been there all along, with strong Peach State ties in assistant coach Korey McCray (a former AAU coach of the Atlanta Celtics) and the appeal of playing with two top-5 players in Muhammad and Anderson. In terms of rebuilding a winning culture, Muhammad, Anderson and Parker all won state championships, and Adams was a member of the mythical national champion Oak Hill Academy (Va.) team. What seemed to be a pipe dream months ago, Georgia landing Parker, seems possible for now.
It also remains to be seen if Duke can add a second player to its recruiting class, and Parker would be ideal in that sense. For while they seemed to be at least in the conversation as the leader for Parker, but that has generally faded at this point. Beyond that, Kansas and Ohio State would both plant Parker on their frontline if they can pull him away from presumed favorites, but it would be a surprise to see him land at those schools or Memphis.
Still, in a tight-lipped recruitment thus far, it seems as if Parker’s ultimate decision could even be a surprise for the school he ends up at. By next Monday, the mystery should be revealed.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 5
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)