Apr 18, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
Almost immediately after Shabazz Muhammad joined 6-8 passer extraordinaire Kyle Anderson and sweet shooting wing Jordan Adams in the UCLA 2012 recruiting class, rumors started to fly that Miller Grove (Ga.) center Tony Parker would present a verbal commitment to the Bruins sooner, rather than later.
With a couple of false starts regarding the date and time for the announcement of his college decision, next Monday at 4 p.m. seems to be finalized for the top-25 big man to state his intentions. This list remains the same as it has for quite a while, with the Bruins, Georgia, Duke, Kansas, Memphis and Ohio State still all hanging tough. As it stands, it’s anybody’s guess where he ends up.
No one is ruling out Georgia for Parker’s services, though UCLA has been there all along, with strong Peach State ties in assistant coach Korey McCray (a former AAU coach of the Atlanta Celtics) and the appeal of playing with two top-5 players in Muhammad and Anderson. In terms of rebuilding a winning culture, Muhammad, Anderson and Parker all won state championships, and Adams was a member of the mythical national champion Oak Hill Academy (Va.) team. What seemed to be a pipe dream months ago, Georgia landing Parker, seems possible for now.
It also remains to be seen if Duke can add a second player to its recruiting class, and Parker would be ideal in that sense. For while they seemed to be at least in the conversation as the leader for Parker, but that has generally faded at this point. Beyond that, Kansas and Ohio State would both plant Parker on their frontline if they can pull him away from presumed favorites, but it would be a surprise to see him land at those schools or Memphis.
Still, in a tight-lipped recruitment thus far, it seems as if Parker’s ultimate decision could even be a surprise for the school he ends up at. By next Monday, the mystery should be revealed.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 2
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him