Apr 18, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
Since taking over the reins at Kansas State, new coach Bruce Weber has wasted no time on the recruiting trail attempting to start to put his own stamp on the program.
During the early signing period, new South Carolina coach Frank Martin went after size and landed two seven-footers in Robert Upshaw (who has since declared for Fresno State) and Laimonas Chatkevicius, a prep schooler from Connecticut. At this point, Chatkevicius’ future is unknown, leading Weber to pull from the shallow talent pool of remaining uncommitted players.
New assistant coach Chris Lowery was able to help with the Wildcats’ first new score, 6-8 power forward Darrell Johnson, who picked Kansas State over Virginia Tech. Johnson is from the St. Louis-area and has plenty of potential to sculpt from a 6-8, 230 build. Assuming Chatkevicius doesn’t join the team, which seems safe at this point, Johnson should fill the role of depth in the frontcourt that the roster was lacking.
Also, expect Weber to be in the hunt to land a player he signed at Illinois, 6-3 point guard Michael Orris, who was released from his letter of intent from Illini. Orris visited Kansas State over the weekend, and was previously committed to Creighton before inking with Illinois. While Orris isn’t a lock to land at Kansas State, it’s easy to assume that Weber and Kansas State will have the inside track due to the pre-existing relationship.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team