Apr 19, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
- The big news of the day is that legendary women’s coach Pat Summitt is stepping down at Tennessee. She won eight national championships in 38 seasons but was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s Disease back in August. Summitt’s legacy goes well beyond just wins and titles. You can debate how popular women’s basketball truly is, but it would not be where it is today if it was not for Pat Summitt. In short, for the last 25 years or so, she has been women’s college basketball.
– Dan Wetzel and Jeff Goodman both weigh-in on the Jarrod Uthoff fiasco. Wisconsin has now blocked Uthoff from transferring from 25 different schools. Bo Ryan finally addressed the situation, but doesn’t really explain anything. Oh and the university almost lost Uthoff’s appeal letter, so there’s that too. Basically, nothing good ever comes of this. Just let the kid already
– Pat Forde cannot understand why SMU would want to hire 72-year old Larry Brown as their new head coach. But Brown still hasn’t officially signed on the dotted line yet. David Steele thinks that even at 72 years of age, Brown can transform this team
– Deron Snyder reminds us that if we had the chance to leave college after a national championship in order to make NBA money, we probably would (And he’s right)
– ESPN’s Ric Bucher wrote a solid article about Isaiah Thomas‘ tenure at FIU. While “Zeke” didn’t have the best record, his players loved playing for him, and they excelled in the classroom under his watch
– Basketball rivalry trophies? Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes, and yes.
– Fran Frascilla put together a fantastic list of breakout players to watch for next season
– Rush The Court provided a great list of instant impact transfers to be on the look out for in 2012-2013
– C.J Leslie will return to North Carolina State for his junior season. His presence will make the Wolf Pack one of the preseason favorites to win the ACC next season
– The U.S. Senate actually passed a bill congratulating Kentucky on their National Championship. Really fellas? Fix the BCS, fix expansionocalypse. Hell, fix transfer-blocking. But don’t waste tax-payer money on bills congratulating teams (Even though it probably doesn’t take more than 15 minutes to get done from start to finish)
– Speaking of the ACC, a lot of teams will see a lot of roster turnover in the off-season, which could make for an interesting 2012-2013 season
– Speaking of Toledo, they got some good news as well. Loyola’s Justin Drummond, the MAAC Sixth Man of the Year, is transferring in to their program
– USC-transfer Ari Stewart will not be charged with marijuana possession stemming from an arrest in February. Instead he will have to go through a drug diversion program
– This Zach Tomaselli character is a troubled human being. A week after claiming he lied about everything involving the Bernie Fine abuse allegations, he went back to his original statements
– VUHoops.com provides an update on the nonsensical MWC/C-USA merger fiasco
– UCLA and Texas will play a game next season at Reliant Stadium, the home of the Houston Texans, and the site of the 2011 Final Four
– This is said a lot, but it’s very true for Minnesota: Next season is a very important year for the Golden Gophers program
– Kim English, a college hoops media favorite, used game film and personal evaluation to improve his game this past season
NCAA sanctions for Syracuse include 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for head coach Jim Boeheim
Mar 6, 2015, 12:35 PM EST
The basketball program will be on probation for the next five years, and they’re losing 12 scholarships over the next four seasons.
Mar 6, 2015, 12:20 PM EST
The Summit League will have one of the most entertaining tournaments, as always.
Mar 6, 2015, 11:29 AM EST
The Wisconsin freshmen have to dive for a loose ball off of the edge of the raised Williams Arena court as a rite of passage when the team plays at Minnesota.
Mar 6, 2015, 10:20 AM EST
Kentucky appears to be the only lock with less than two weeks to go before Selection Sunday.
Mar 6, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
The winner in Cambridge will be one win away from earning the Ivy League’s NCAA tournament berth.
Mar 6, 2015, 8:16 AM EST
All of this weekend’s hoops action.
Mar 6, 2015, 7:30 AM EST
The NCAA has yet to interview Cliff Alexander in regards to the case, with the report citing the family’s hiring of legal representation factoring into that.
Mar 6, 2015, 1:34 AM EST
All of the bubble winners and losers from Thursday.
Mar 5, 2015, 10:23 PM EST
No. 6 Wisconsin is the outright Big Ten champion, and Delaware State’s Kendall Gray went off for 33 points and 30 rebounds.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:34 PM EST
With the NBA and NBPA having different views on the limit, college basketball can only wait and see what happens.
Mar 5, 2015, 7:36 PM EST
The only sure thing at this point is that Perry Ellis won’t be on the floor when the Jayhawks visit No. 15 Oklahoma Saturday.
Mar 5, 2015, 6:44 PM EST
DVSport will handle the video replay technology, with Precision Timing Systems handling the timekeeping.
Mar 5, 2015, 5:38 PM EST
Patrick McCaw has been one of UNLV’s most consistent players this season, but he’ll have to miss Saturday’s game at San Jose State.
Mar 5, 2015, 4:56 PM EST
This situation seems certain to end up in a mess.
Mar 5, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
Both Wisconsin and No. 5 Arizona can wrap up outright conference titles with wins Thursday night.
Mar 5, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
I don’t think any Indiana fans are listening at this point.
Mar 5, 2015, 3:14 PM EST
Man, this is a serious blow.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:31 PM EST
After winning yet another regular season title, Gonzaga looks to win its third consecutive WCC tournament crown.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:05 PM EST
I’ve been asked the question enough. Here are the answers.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
The CAA will be the nations most wide-open conference tournament.
- NCAA sanctions for Syracuse include 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for head coach Jim Boeheim 0
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 3
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)