Apr 19, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Twitter can be an easy avenue in which to make a mistake, especially for those who aren’t as well-versed in the social network.
And in the case of college coaches, some of whom don’t use Twitter as much as others, that can lead to problems in the form of inadvertent NCAA rules violations.
Pastner was attempting to perform a search of the Lithonia, Georgia native’s name on Twitter in hopes of figuring out the status of his recruitment but instead committed a secondary violation.
If anything Pastner, who is heading into his fourth season at Memphis, had too much on his plate given the departure of assistant Jack Murphy (now the head coach at Northern Arizona) and assistant director of operations Matt Dunn (now a part of Murphy’s staff).
Dunn handled Memphis’ recruiting database while Murphy was the one who took care of the program’s official Twitter account most of the time.
“We’re a couple men down and I’m very methodical in my hiring. Plus, you’re in a recruiting period and we’re making sure that we’re finishing up strong academically. So I was probably doing too many things at once,” Pastner said Wednesday.
“My wife was yelling at me because I was on the phone too loud. I was waking (the couple’s infant daughter) up and waking my wife up because I had the TV on. She was complaining that I not only woke my daughter up, but I also woke the baby inside her up because she’s pregnant.
“So I was waking everybody up, I was getting yelled at and on top of that I was thinking, ‘What’s going on with recruiting?’ and ‘Who am I going to hire?’ and I made a mistake.”
With the next two weekends being open evaluation periods Pastner along with assistants Damon Stoudamire and Jimmy Williams will be on the road, and along with that responsibility comes to need to make two new hires.
Pastner has a lot on his plate right now, which would probably make it more likely that the Twitter account goes silent for the time being.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 2
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- NBA: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit