Apr 20, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
The Atlantic 10 might have its newest members – Butler, George Mason and VCU – in place by May 1. But the Colonial Athletic Department says that’s not happening.
Two tweets from New York Post reporter Lenn Robbins indicate VCU and George Mason are headed to the A-10 by May 1 and “Butler probably” as well. The CAA is telling its member schools, but the A-10 and other East conferences (Robbins’ phrase) say it’s happening.
SNY reporter Adam Zagoria corroborated the move, though. “Source on Mason/VCU to the A-10 ‘I would be shocked if it doesn’t happen,’” he tweeted.
VCU officials are “flatly denying” the report, per WTVR.com.
If those three schools are added, it’d bring the A-10 to 16 member schools with the departure of Temple to the Big East.
CAA officials are desperate to stem any reports of school departures now that Georgia State is headed to the Sun Belt in 2013. But VCU and George Mason seems like it’ll happen, no matter what the conference hopes.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final