Apr 20, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
A national championship, a No. 1 recruiting class, six players headed to the NBA draft, and now this:
After Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Doron Lamb, Terrence Jones, Marquis Teague, and Darius Miller are drafted into the NBA, as they are expected to, Kentucky will overtake Duke as the team with the most former players who are currently in the NBA.
As Rick Bozich of the Courier-Journal points out, Duke leads with 16, but will only be adding one player, Austin Rivers, to that number in the 2012 draft.
Kentucky boosts its stock by adding six on the draft end, but could lose a few to retirement as well, with big men Jamaal Magliore and Nazr Muhammad reaching the ends of their careers.
By Bozich’s estimation, that would put Kentucky at 18, ahead of trailing schools that include Duke, UCLA, Texas, Kansas, and North Carolina.
Of course, there is a flood of Kentucky blue that has come into the NBA draft in the past few seasons, with the Wildcats under the direction of John Calipari.
Rajon Rondo is perhaps the most productive Kentucky alum currently in the NBA, as he is averaging 12.1 points, 11.6 assists, and 1.8 steals per game for the Boston Celtics.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 3
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)