Apr 20, 2012, 2:12 PM EST
A national championship, a No. 1 recruiting class, six players headed to the NBA draft, and now this:
After Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Doron Lamb, Terrence Jones, Marquis Teague, and Darius Miller are drafted into the NBA, as they are expected to, Kentucky will overtake Duke as the team with the most former players who are currently in the NBA.
As Rick Bozich of the Courier-Journal points out, Duke leads with 16, but will only be adding one player, Austin Rivers, to that number in the 2012 draft.
Kentucky boosts its stock by adding six on the draft end, but could lose a few to retirement as well, with big men Jamaal Magliore and Nazr Muhammad reaching the ends of their careers.
By Bozich’s estimation, that would put Kentucky at 18, ahead of trailing schools that include Duke, UCLA, Texas, Kansas, and North Carolina.
Of course, there is a flood of Kentucky blue that has come into the NBA draft in the past few seasons, with the Wildcats under the direction of John Calipari.
Rajon Rondo is perhaps the most productive Kentucky alum currently in the NBA, as he is averaging 12.1 points, 11.6 assists, and 1.8 steals per game for the Boston Celtics.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)