Apr 20, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
A national championship, a No. 1 recruiting class, six players headed to the NBA draft, and now this:
After Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Doron Lamb, Terrence Jones, Marquis Teague, and Darius Miller are drafted into the NBA, as they are expected to, Kentucky will overtake Duke as the team with the most former players who are currently in the NBA.
As Rick Bozich of the Courier-Journal points out, Duke leads with 16, but will only be adding one player, Austin Rivers, to that number in the 2012 draft.
Kentucky boosts its stock by adding six on the draft end, but could lose a few to retirement as well, with big men Jamaal Magliore and Nazr Muhammad reaching the ends of their careers.
By Bozich’s estimation, that would put Kentucky at 18, ahead of trailing schools that include Duke, UCLA, Texas, Kansas, and North Carolina.
Of course, there is a flood of Kentucky blue that has come into the NBA draft in the past few seasons, with the Wildcats under the direction of John Calipari.
Rajon Rondo is perhaps the most productive Kentucky alum currently in the NBA, as he is averaging 12.1 points, 11.6 assists, and 1.8 steals per game for the Boston Celtics.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)