Apr 20, 2012, 11:28 AM EDT
Even with Top 20 prospect Danuel House, 6-9 forward Danrad “Chicken” Knowles, and big man Valentine Izundu signed from the Class of 2012, Houston is not done.
The Cougars added two more signatures on Thursday, with junior college guards Brandon Morris and Tione Womack.
Womack, from Hagerstown CC (Md.), is a 6-1 point guard who averaged 10 points and 7.6 assists this past season, leading HCC to a 28-5 record.
“He has been a proven winner everywhere he has competed, and we look forward to his leadership on our team,” Houston coach James Dickey said in a release. “Tione has a pass-first mentality that creates easy scoring opportunities for his teammates and is a quick, solid on-ball defender.”
He will have two years of eligibility remaining.
Morris is similar in size to Womack, at 6-0, 185 pounds, and played junior college basketball at Kansas City CC (Kan.).
This past season, he averaged 16.9 points, 5.3 rebounds, and 4.9 assists.
“He is an explosive lead guard with great court vision,” Dickey said in a statement. “He can defend as well as score. Brandon will add experience to our backcourt.”
Houston’s recruiting class is in the Top 20 in the nation, and these two junior college additions can only help.
The Cougars finished last season 15-15, including 7-9 in Conference USA. Leading scorer Jonathon Simmons is foregoing his senior season and heading to the NBA draft after averaging 14.7 points per game in his junior campaign.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)