Apr 20, 2012, 9:14 AM EDT
Andy Katz of ESPN.com is reporting that former Boston College coach Al Skinner is in the mix as an option to fill the coaching vacancy at Brown.
Brown finished 8-23 on the season, including 2-12 in the Ivy League, and fired coach Jesse Agel on March 5. In four seasons with Brown, Agel compiled an overall record of 39-79.
Skinner has not coached since 2009-10, when BC finished 15-16 and missed the postseason.
With Boston College, he won two Big East regular-season championships and one Big East tournament title. In the process, he was a two-time Big East Coach of the Year and won National Coach of the Year in 2001.
He was fired in 2010 and took to the Boston Globe to explain his departure.
“I ran a good program, I graduated my kids. Everybody has problems, but we addressed them and handled them in a matter that satisfied every one,” he told the paper. “At the end of the day, this is a results-oriented business. I recognize that.”
For a program that has only made the NCAA tournament twice in its history, the hiring of Skinner would bring experience and a proven record of winning to Brown.
The 59-year-old Skinner is a native of Mount Vernon, N.Y., which is just over three hours from Brown’s campus in Providence. If Skinner heads to Brown, that would make for the third strong hire by Rhode Island-based schools in the past few seasons, as Ed Cooley has taken over at Providence and Dan Hurley was hired at Rhode Island this spring.
Pangos All-American Camp Day 1: Mustapha Heron dominates; Terrance Ferguson shows glimpses of greatness
May 30, 2015, 2:31 PM EDT
Here’s a rundown of everything that happened at the Pangos All-American Camp on Friday.
May 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The training camp began on May 28 in Colorado Springs.
May 30, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
The extension would go through the 2019-20 season.
May 30, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Ferguson is at the Pangos All-American Camp.
May 29, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Khalid El-Amin’s son has game.
May 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Will Iowa State’s lone 2015 high school commit stay put if Fred Hoiberg leaves?
May 29, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
Oklahoma State badly needed another big man and might have found some help.
May 29, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Duke is getting another Parade National Player of the Year.
May 29, 2015, 4:03 PM EDT
With Fred Hoiberg being tabbed the frontrunner for the Bulls job, Hornacek’s name has come up as a possible replacement in Ames.
May 29, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
Jones will undergo surgery June 1 in Baltimore.
May 29, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
The last time these two teams met at a neutral site was back in 1992.
May 29, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
Kansas also has plans to host former Providence center Paschal Chukwu in early June.
May 29, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Dai-Jon Parker played this past season at the University of Indianapolis.
May 28, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
Fred Hoiberg’s status has impacted recruiting in multiple cases for Iowa State this spring.
May 28, 2015, 7:43 PM EDT
Big 12 tournaments held at the Sprint Center have averaged more than 18,000 fans per session.
May 28, 2015, 6:41 PM EDT
Each team will have three “permanent” opponents they’re guaranteed to play twice every season.
May 28, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT
Video surfaced showing that Alie-Cox wasn’t involved in the incident, contradicting a woman’s claim that he punched her in the face.
May 28, 2015, 4:04 PM EDT
UConn’s now added three transfers to the program this spring, two of whom will be eligible immediately as graduate students.
May 28, 2015, 3:24 PM EDT
Foster led Clemson to their only Elite 8 appearance in program history.
May 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Paige went to high school an hour from UNI’s campus.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)