Apr 20, 2012, 8:31 AM EDT
It didn’t take long for Frank Martin to start settling in and making an impact at South Carolina.
On Thursday night, Martin landed a pair of commitments that will set his tenure in the SEC in motion, grabbing verbals from Thomas Jefferson (N.Y.) swingman Thaddeus Hall and Lithuanian forward Minda Kacinas.
Hall’s commitment was first reported by the New York Post, and comes after he considered Maryland, St. John’s, and Hofstra.
“They came to my school, they kept in contact with me, they talked to my mom – they did everything it took to get me,” Hall told The Post. “It feels great. I’m going to play SEC basketball and that’s one of the top conferences in the country.”
He is reportedly working in the classroom to put himself in the best position to qualify in the fall.
Kacinas, a 6-8 forward from Lithuania who committed while on a visit to South Carolina, reportedly signed his letter of intent as well.
He attends Word of Life (Kan.), a team that went 28-5 on the year, while he averaged 26 points and 15 rebounds per game.
Head coach Frank Martin recruited both players during his time at Kansas State and made the two top priorities when he moved to South Carolina.
The Gamecocks finished 10-21 this past season under now-departed coach Darrin Horn, including 2-14 in the SEC.
Kansas State advanced to the Round of 32 under Martin in 2011-12.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)