Apr 20, 2012, 8:31 AM EDT
It didn’t take long for Frank Martin to start settling in and making an impact at South Carolina.
On Thursday night, Martin landed a pair of commitments that will set his tenure in the SEC in motion, grabbing verbals from Thomas Jefferson (N.Y.) swingman Thaddeus Hall and Lithuanian forward Minda Kacinas.
Hall’s commitment was first reported by the New York Post, and comes after he considered Maryland, St. John’s, and Hofstra.
“They came to my school, they kept in contact with me, they talked to my mom – they did everything it took to get me,” Hall told The Post. “It feels great. I’m going to play SEC basketball and that’s one of the top conferences in the country.”
He is reportedly working in the classroom to put himself in the best position to qualify in the fall.
Kacinas, a 6-8 forward from Lithuania who committed while on a visit to South Carolina, reportedly signed his letter of intent as well.
He attends Word of Life (Kan.), a team that went 28-5 on the year, while he averaged 26 points and 15 rebounds per game.
Head coach Frank Martin recruited both players during his time at Kansas State and made the two top priorities when he moved to South Carolina.
The Gamecocks finished 10-21 this past season under now-departed coach Darrin Horn, including 2-14 in the SEC.
Kansas State advanced to the Round of 32 under Martin in 2011-12.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)