Apr 20, 2012, 8:31 AM EST
It didn’t take long for Frank Martin to start settling in and making an impact at South Carolina.
On Thursday night, Martin landed a pair of commitments that will set his tenure in the SEC in motion, grabbing verbals from Thomas Jefferson (N.Y.) swingman Thaddeus Hall and Lithuanian forward Minda Kacinas.
Hall’s commitment was first reported by the New York Post, and comes after he considered Maryland, St. John’s, and Hofstra.
“They came to my school, they kept in contact with me, they talked to my mom – they did everything it took to get me,” Hall told The Post. “It feels great. I’m going to play SEC basketball and that’s one of the top conferences in the country.”
He is reportedly working in the classroom to put himself in the best position to qualify in the fall.
Kacinas, a 6-8 forward from Lithuania who committed while on a visit to South Carolina, reportedly signed his letter of intent as well.
He attends Word of Life (Kan.), a team that went 28-5 on the year, while he averaged 26 points and 15 rebounds per game.
Head coach Frank Martin recruited both players during his time at Kansas State and made the two top priorities when he moved to South Carolina.
The Gamecocks finished 10-21 this past season under now-departed coach Darrin Horn, including 2-14 in the SEC.
Kansas State advanced to the Round of 32 under Martin in 2011-12.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 5
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 22
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 5
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)