Apr 21, 2012, 10:21 AM EST
It’s not surprising that UConn is losing players left and right following the news that the program will be banned from the 2013 NCAA tournament. The only surprise is that it’s taking so long for some of the team’s most talented players to make the decision to flee the sinking ship.
Per Jeff Goodman at CBSSports.com, the latest departure billet has been filled out in the name of Roscoe Smith. The junior-to-be has never really thrived as a Husky, averaging under 10 points per game, but his improving rebounding skills made him an important role player in the recently concluded season. Smith’s decision-making skills may have held him back more than anything, however. He became a youtube sensation as a sophomore, thanks to his affinity for launching full-court shots with plenty of time left on the clock.
Smith is 6’8″, 205 lbs. and has the long arms that make him a valuable defensive presence. He was born in Baltimore, so don’t be surprised to see Mark Turgeon make a run at him. Smith could be a valuable cog in Maryland’s rebuilding process, and could achieve his star potential if his brain catches up with his body – a situation tailor-made for a transfer who will be required to sit out a season before he can play again.
Still, this is Roscoe Smith we’re talking about. He may zig when we expect him to zag.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He likes to crack wise and talk college hoops @stfhoops on Twitter.
Mar 4, 2015, 5:13 PM EST
Kaminsky is one of five seniors on the list, and Gonzaga is the only program with two representatives.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:20 PM EST
With the higher seeds hosting in the first three rounds of the Postseason NIT, the four one-seeds could potentially not leave campus before the semifinals at Madison Square Garden.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:40 PM EST
The most recent title odds from Bovada.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EST
There are a lot of big bubbles games tonight.
Mar 4, 2015, 1:26 PM EST
These are the small league favorites that can win a game in the NCAA tournament.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:51 AM EST
Hank Gathers died on the court during the WCC tournament.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:42 AM EST
Perry Ellis suffered a nasty looking knee injury last night.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
I’ve never seen this happen before.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:41 AM EST
Justin Anderson has been out for more than three weeks after fracturing a finger.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Two strong teams enter the Valley Conference Tournament with numerous others trying to enter the frame.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:26 AM EST
Kentucky is learning how to win games when they don’t play well. That’s scary.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:58 PM EST
No. 9 Kansas topped No. 20 West Virginia but now the Jayhawks must worry about the health of Perry Ellis.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:59 PM EST
Georgetown and Iowa earn big road wins.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:01 PM EST
All of Tuesday’s bubble action, right here.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Cincinnati could be losing an experienced guard for next season.
Jahlil Okafor, D’Angelo Russell among 10 finalists for Wayman Tisdale Award as nation’s best freshman
Mar 3, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
A lot of productive players on the Wayman Tisdale Award finalist list, led by Duke’s Jahlil Okafor and Ohio State’s D’Angelo Russell.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:52 PM EST
Albany is looking for its third NCAA tournament appearance in as many years. Stony Brook is attempting to once again get over that conference tournament hump.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:47 PM EST
Kaminsky has all but locked up the award in my mind.
Mar 3, 2015, 2:32 PM EST
Murray State rolled through the OVC unbeaten and enters the conference tournament as the heavy favorite.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)