Apr 21, 2012, 10:21 AM EST
It’s not surprising that UConn is losing players left and right following the news that the program will be banned from the 2013 NCAA tournament. The only surprise is that it’s taking so long for some of the team’s most talented players to make the decision to flee the sinking ship.
Per Jeff Goodman at CBSSports.com, the latest departure billet has been filled out in the name of Roscoe Smith. The junior-to-be has never really thrived as a Husky, averaging under 10 points per game, but his improving rebounding skills made him an important role player in the recently concluded season. Smith’s decision-making skills may have held him back more than anything, however. He became a youtube sensation as a sophomore, thanks to his affinity for launching full-court shots with plenty of time left on the clock.
Smith is 6’8″, 205 lbs. and has the long arms that make him a valuable defensive presence. He was born in Baltimore, so don’t be surprised to see Mark Turgeon make a run at him. Smith could be a valuable cog in Maryland’s rebuilding process, and could achieve his star potential if his brain catches up with his body – a situation tailor-made for a transfer who will be required to sit out a season before he can play again.
Still, this is Roscoe Smith we’re talking about. He may zig when we expect him to zag.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He likes to crack wise and talk college hoops @stfhoops on Twitter.
Nov 20, 2014, 6:04 PM EST
More than sixty inches of snow have fallen in western New York this week, so it makes little sense to attempt to play a sporting event as scheduled.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EST
Arizona, Michigan State and Providence all reached last season’s NCAA tournament.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:32 PM EST
Who is the most clutch player in the country?
Nov 20, 2014, 2:37 PM EST
The 2014 Maui Invitational kicks off on Monday.
Nov 20, 2014, 1:57 PM EST
I cannot respect your intelligence if you think Kentucky beats Philly. I just can’t do it.
Nov 20, 2014, 1:29 PM EST
The last two years, Wichita State, UConn and Kentucky have all made the Final Four as teams seeded outside the top six.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
You have to love early morning basketball.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Sad: One of the sport’s most notorious coaches is struggling with his health.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:50 AM EST
All of today’s college hoops action.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
There’s more to Shaka Smart than meets the eye.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:32 AM EST
Will we ever see Butler’s head coach on the sideline again?
Nov 20, 2014, 1:05 AM EST
It was a quiet night on the college hoops front, but one ranked team went down.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:53 AM EST
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson was the spark plug for a team that has a lot of progress to make offensively.
Nov 19, 2014, 11:37 PM EST
Jakeenan Gant has yet to play in a game for Missouri.
Nov 19, 2014, 10:42 PM EST
Now that is hops.
Nov 19, 2014, 10:37 PM EST
This is a huge win for Creighton and for the Big East as a whole.
Nov 19, 2014, 9:22 PM EST
Come on, Toby.
Nov 19, 2014, 8:57 PM EST
Apologies won’t get Tom Crean off the hot seat, but at least they acknowledged their mistakes.
Nov 19, 2014, 5:48 PM EST
Derek Ogbeide’s been praised for his ability as a defender and rebounder, areas Georgia will need to address with two of their front court mainstays being seniors.
Nov 19, 2014, 4:33 PM EST
It’s not the same as last night, but there are some good basketball games scheduled for Wednesday.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 17
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (17)
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Can the ACC produce four Final Four teams? (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Report: Kansas transfer Conner Frankamp considering Colorado, Wichita State (3)