Apr 22, 2012, 11:34 AM EDT
CBSSports.com’s Jeff Goodman is reporting that guard Mark Lyons will not return to Xavier in 2012-13.
Goodman’s sources say that off-court and on-court incidents could have played into the decision.
Lyons was suspended for two games early in the year for his part in the Cincinnati-Xavier brawl that took place December 10.
On the year, Lyons averaged 15.5 points and 3.4 rebounds this past season as a backcourt complement to now-graduating senior Tu Holloway.
Goodman reports that Lyons is expected to transfer, but could enter the NBA draft, so long as he declares before the NBA’s April 29 deadline.
With Holloway and Lyons out next season, the Musketeers will be losing nearly 33 points worth of scoring in their backcourt, and will also lose senior big man Kenny Frease, who averaged nearly 10 points and six rebounds.
Xavier will be adding two guards into the mix from the Class of 2012, though: Brewster Academy (N.H.) postgraduate Semaj Christon and New Jersey native Myles Davis.
From the Class of 2013, Mack will be waiting on highly coveted guard Chris Thomas, who recently verbally committed to Xavier.
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness