Apr 23, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
David Teel of the Daily Press is now reporting and many outlets have confirmed that, according to sources, Seth Greenberg will be fired as head coach of Virginia Tech.
This report comes in contrast to an original indication from Teel that seemed to show Greenberg could remain as the head coach in Blacksburg.
A press conference is scheduled for 4 p.m.
Original Post Located Below, Post Updated April 23, 2012, 2:55 p.m.
A tweet from David Teel of the Daily Press seems to indicate that a press conference scheduled for 4 p.m. today at Virginia Tech may not concern head basketball coach Seth Greenberg.
“Seth Greenberg just answered his phone,” tweeted Teel. “’Yes, I’m still employed’ has no idea what Va Tech press conf is about.”
Greenberg’s name has been on the hot seat before, as the Hokies have made just one NCAA tournament appearance in his nine seasons in Blacksburg.
He has an overall record of 167-117 in his time at Virginia Tech, and always seems to be falling on the wrong side of the bubble for the NCAA tournament. The Hokies had made the NIT four straight seasons, before missing the postseason this past year.
Virginia Tech finished 16-17 in 2011-12, including 4-12 in the ACC.
Greenberg is originally from Plainview, N.Y., and was a head coach at South Florida and Long Beach State before coming to Virginia Tech.
The Hokies have a two-man recruiting class from the Class of 2012, with big man Montrezl Harrell and swingman Marshall Wood.
Harrell is a four-star prospect.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)