Apr 23, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
David Teel of the Daily Press is now reporting and many outlets have confirmed that, according to sources, Seth Greenberg will be fired as head coach of Virginia Tech.
This report comes in contrast to an original indication from Teel that seemed to show Greenberg could remain as the head coach in Blacksburg.
A press conference is scheduled for 4 p.m.
Original Post Located Below, Post Updated April 23, 2012, 2:55 p.m.
A tweet from David Teel of the Daily Press seems to indicate that a press conference scheduled for 4 p.m. today at Virginia Tech may not concern head basketball coach Seth Greenberg.
“Seth Greenberg just answered his phone,” tweeted Teel. “’Yes, I’m still employed’ has no idea what Va Tech press conf is about.”
Greenberg’s name has been on the hot seat before, as the Hokies have made just one NCAA tournament appearance in his nine seasons in Blacksburg.
He has an overall record of 167-117 in his time at Virginia Tech, and always seems to be falling on the wrong side of the bubble for the NCAA tournament. The Hokies had made the NIT four straight seasons, before missing the postseason this past year.
Virginia Tech finished 16-17 in 2011-12, including 4-12 in the ACC.
Greenberg is originally from Plainview, N.Y., and was a head coach at South Florida and Long Beach State before coming to Virginia Tech.
The Hokies have a two-man recruiting class from the Class of 2012, with big man Montrezl Harrell and swingman Marshall Wood.
Harrell is a four-star prospect.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)