Apr 23, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
David Teel of the Daily Press is now reporting and many outlets have confirmed that, according to sources, Seth Greenberg will be fired as head coach of Virginia Tech.
This report comes in contrast to an original indication from Teel that seemed to show Greenberg could remain as the head coach in Blacksburg.
A press conference is scheduled for 4 p.m.
Original Post Located Below, Post Updated April 23, 2012, 2:55 p.m.
A tweet from David Teel of the Daily Press seems to indicate that a press conference scheduled for 4 p.m. today at Virginia Tech may not concern head basketball coach Seth Greenberg.
“Seth Greenberg just answered his phone,” tweeted Teel. “’Yes, I’m still employed’ has no idea what Va Tech press conf is about.”
Greenberg’s name has been on the hot seat before, as the Hokies have made just one NCAA tournament appearance in his nine seasons in Blacksburg.
He has an overall record of 167-117 in his time at Virginia Tech, and always seems to be falling on the wrong side of the bubble for the NCAA tournament. The Hokies had made the NIT four straight seasons, before missing the postseason this past year.
Virginia Tech finished 16-17 in 2011-12, including 4-12 in the ACC.
Greenberg is originally from Plainview, N.Y., and was a head coach at South Florida and Long Beach State before coming to Virginia Tech.
The Hokies have a two-man recruiting class from the Class of 2012, with big man Montrezl Harrell and swingman Marshall Wood.
Harrell is a four-star prospect.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 1
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- The Big Ten is setting records for their revenue (3)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead