Apr 23, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
David Teel of the Daily Press is now reporting and many outlets have confirmed that, according to sources, Seth Greenberg will be fired as head coach of Virginia Tech.
This report comes in contrast to an original indication from Teel that seemed to show Greenberg could remain as the head coach in Blacksburg.
A press conference is scheduled for 4 p.m.
Original Post Located Below, Post Updated April 23, 2012, 2:55 p.m.
A tweet from David Teel of the Daily Press seems to indicate that a press conference scheduled for 4 p.m. today at Virginia Tech may not concern head basketball coach Seth Greenberg.
“Seth Greenberg just answered his phone,” tweeted Teel. “’Yes, I’m still employed’ has no idea what Va Tech press conf is about.”
Greenberg’s name has been on the hot seat before, as the Hokies have made just one NCAA tournament appearance in his nine seasons in Blacksburg.
He has an overall record of 167-117 in his time at Virginia Tech, and always seems to be falling on the wrong side of the bubble for the NCAA tournament. The Hokies had made the NIT four straight seasons, before missing the postseason this past year.
Virginia Tech finished 16-17 in 2011-12, including 4-12 in the ACC.
Greenberg is originally from Plainview, N.Y., and was a head coach at South Florida and Long Beach State before coming to Virginia Tech.
The Hokies have a two-man recruiting class from the Class of 2012, with big man Montrezl Harrell and swingman Marshall Wood.
Harrell is a four-star prospect.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)