Apr 23, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
David Teel of the Daily Press is now reporting and many outlets have confirmed that, according to sources, Seth Greenberg will be fired as head coach of Virginia Tech.
This report comes in contrast to an original indication from Teel that seemed to show Greenberg could remain as the head coach in Blacksburg.
A press conference is scheduled for 4 p.m.
Original Post Located Below, Post Updated April 23, 2012, 2:55 p.m.
A tweet from David Teel of the Daily Press seems to indicate that a press conference scheduled for 4 p.m. today at Virginia Tech may not concern head basketball coach Seth Greenberg.
“Seth Greenberg just answered his phone,” tweeted Teel. “’Yes, I’m still employed’ has no idea what Va Tech press conf is about.”
Greenberg’s name has been on the hot seat before, as the Hokies have made just one NCAA tournament appearance in his nine seasons in Blacksburg.
He has an overall record of 167-117 in his time at Virginia Tech, and always seems to be falling on the wrong side of the bubble for the NCAA tournament. The Hokies had made the NIT four straight seasons, before missing the postseason this past year.
Virginia Tech finished 16-17 in 2011-12, including 4-12 in the ACC.
Greenberg is originally from Plainview, N.Y., and was a head coach at South Florida and Long Beach State before coming to Virginia Tech.
The Hokies have a two-man recruiting class from the Class of 2012, with big man Montrezl Harrell and swingman Marshall Wood.
Harrell is a four-star prospect.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)