Apr 23, 2012, 7:00 PM EST
Former South Carolina Gamecock Anthony Gill has decided that he will transfer to Virginia.
Gill started 26 games last season for USC, averaging 7.6 points and 4.7 rebounds. He made the decision to transfer when Frank Martin took over for Darrin Horn.
Gill was briefly recruited by North Carolina and also visited Ohio State, but ultimately decided to continue his career under Tony Bennett. It’s an important addition for the future for the Cavs, as they lost Assane Sene and Mike Scott to graduation and have seen four of the six members of Bennett’s first recruiting class at UVA transfer.
“He can shoot the mid-ranger and he even shot 3s while he was at South Carolina,” Shonn Brown, Gill’s former coach at Charlotte (N.C.) Christian High, told The Daily Progress of Charlottesville, VA. “He rebounds well, finishes well, has great hands, has a very high IQ for the game, has really good athleticism. I think coach [Darrin] Horn and his staff did a great job of working on his body physically. He has a lot of stuff to offer a program—with the number one thing being that he’s a great person and that he’s very coachable. He’s willing to do a lot of things to work hard and be successful, including in the classroom because the most important thing for him at the end of the day is getting a degree from a great institution.”
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 0
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)