Apr 23, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
Former South Carolina Gamecock Anthony Gill has decided that he will transfer to Virginia.
Gill started 26 games last season for USC, averaging 7.6 points and 4.7 rebounds. He made the decision to transfer when Frank Martin took over for Darrin Horn.
Gill was briefly recruited by North Carolina and also visited Ohio State, but ultimately decided to continue his career under Tony Bennett. It’s an important addition for the future for the Cavs, as they lost Assane Sene and Mike Scott to graduation and have seen four of the six members of Bennett’s first recruiting class at UVA transfer.
“He can shoot the mid-ranger and he even shot 3s while he was at South Carolina,” Shonn Brown, Gill’s former coach at Charlotte (N.C.) Christian High, told The Daily Progress of Charlottesville, VA. “He rebounds well, finishes well, has great hands, has a very high IQ for the game, has really good athleticism. I think coach [Darrin] Horn and his staff did a great job of working on his body physically. He has a lot of stuff to offer a program—with the number one thing being that he’s a great person and that he’s very coachable. He’s willing to do a lot of things to work hard and be successful, including in the classroom because the most important thing for him at the end of the day is getting a degree from a great institution.”
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Ben Howland to become the next Mississippi State head coach 6
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- You Make The Call: Did No. 11 UCLA beat No. 6 SMU on a goaltend or a blown call? (VIDEO) (32)
- Updated tournament records: Five ACC, three Pac-12 teams headed to Sweet 16 (22)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (19)