Apr 24, 2012, 11:55 PM EDT
Kentucky continued its tour to show off the national title trophy on Tuesday night with a trip to the Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati, where John Calipari threw out the first pitch.
For what it’s worth, he threw a strike:
What’s interesting is that the Reds’ decision to host Kentucky and the trophy was a point of contention. John Clay explains:
Lance McAlister, host of WLW’s Sportstalk, said most of his two-hour show last night was taken up by people complaining and debating the Reds honoring John Calipari and Company.
“Non-stop calls for first 90 minutes,” McAlister told me this morning via twitter. “One caller said he’d refuse diamond seats if offered. It was stunning. And yet hilarious. I said it was the single dumbest debate I’d ever heard from Cincinnati fans. Reds, UC, XU and just people in the city all up in arms.”
The Reds facebook page got 344 comments on the post announcing Kentucky’s trip, and while it also got 681 likes, it’s pretty clear that not everyone in the greater Cincinnati area was happy about this decision. Scroll through the comments. There are some gems like this: “But for new contracts from Votto and Phillips, the UK team payroll would be higher than the Reds.”
Cliche, but timely and clever. I liked it on facebook.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)