Apr 24, 2012, 11:55 PM EDT
Kentucky continued its tour to show off the national title trophy on Tuesday night with a trip to the Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati, where John Calipari threw out the first pitch.
For what it’s worth, he threw a strike:
What’s interesting is that the Reds’ decision to host Kentucky and the trophy was a point of contention. John Clay explains:
Lance McAlister, host of WLW’s Sportstalk, said most of his two-hour show last night was taken up by people complaining and debating the Reds honoring John Calipari and Company.
“Non-stop calls for first 90 minutes,” McAlister told me this morning via twitter. “One caller said he’d refuse diamond seats if offered. It was stunning. And yet hilarious. I said it was the single dumbest debate I’d ever heard from Cincinnati fans. Reds, UC, XU and just people in the city all up in arms.”
The Reds facebook page got 344 comments on the post announcing Kentucky’s trip, and while it also got 681 likes, it’s pretty clear that not everyone in the greater Cincinnati area was happy about this decision. Scroll through the comments. There are some gems like this: “But for new contracts from Votto and Phillips, the UK team payroll would be higher than the Reds.”
Cliche, but timely and clever. I liked it on facebook.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)