Apr 24, 2012, 11:55 PM EDT
Kentucky continued its tour to show off the national title trophy on Tuesday night with a trip to the Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati, where John Calipari threw out the first pitch.
For what it’s worth, he threw a strike:
What’s interesting is that the Reds’ decision to host Kentucky and the trophy was a point of contention. John Clay explains:
Lance McAlister, host of WLW’s Sportstalk, said most of his two-hour show last night was taken up by people complaining and debating the Reds honoring John Calipari and Company.
“Non-stop calls for first 90 minutes,” McAlister told me this morning via twitter. “One caller said he’d refuse diamond seats if offered. It was stunning. And yet hilarious. I said it was the single dumbest debate I’d ever heard from Cincinnati fans. Reds, UC, XU and just people in the city all up in arms.”
The Reds facebook page got 344 comments on the post announcing Kentucky’s trip, and while it also got 681 likes, it’s pretty clear that not everyone in the greater Cincinnati area was happy about this decision. Scroll through the comments. There are some gems like this: “But for new contracts from Votto and Phillips, the UK team payroll would be higher than the Reds.”
Cliche, but timely and clever. I liked it on facebook.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)