Apr 24, 2012, 11:55 PM EDT
Kentucky continued its tour to show off the national title trophy on Tuesday night with a trip to the Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati, where John Calipari threw out the first pitch.
For what it’s worth, he threw a strike:
What’s interesting is that the Reds’ decision to host Kentucky and the trophy was a point of contention. John Clay explains:
Lance McAlister, host of WLW’s Sportstalk, said most of his two-hour show last night was taken up by people complaining and debating the Reds honoring John Calipari and Company.
“Non-stop calls for first 90 minutes,” McAlister told me this morning via twitter. “One caller said he’d refuse diamond seats if offered. It was stunning. And yet hilarious. I said it was the single dumbest debate I’d ever heard from Cincinnati fans. Reds, UC, XU and just people in the city all up in arms.”
The Reds facebook page got 344 comments on the post announcing Kentucky’s trip, and while it also got 681 likes, it’s pretty clear that not everyone in the greater Cincinnati area was happy about this decision. Scroll through the comments. There are some gems like this: “But for new contracts from Votto and Phillips, the UK team payroll would be higher than the Reds.”
Cliche, but timely and clever. I liked it on facebook.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)