Apr 24, 2012, 11:55 PM EST
Kentucky continued its tour to show off the national title trophy on Tuesday night with a trip to the Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati, where John Calipari threw out the first pitch.
For what it’s worth, he threw a strike:
What’s interesting is that the Reds’ decision to host Kentucky and the trophy was a point of contention. John Clay explains:
Lance McAlister, host of WLW’s Sportstalk, said most of his two-hour show last night was taken up by people complaining and debating the Reds honoring John Calipari and Company.
“Non-stop calls for first 90 minutes,” McAlister told me this morning via twitter. “One caller said he’d refuse diamond seats if offered. It was stunning. And yet hilarious. I said it was the single dumbest debate I’d ever heard from Cincinnati fans. Reds, UC, XU and just people in the city all up in arms.”
The Reds facebook page got 344 comments on the post announcing Kentucky’s trip, and while it also got 681 likes, it’s pretty clear that not everyone in the greater Cincinnati area was happy about this decision. Scroll through the comments. There are some gems like this: “But for new contracts from Votto and Phillips, the UK team payroll would be higher than the Reds.”
Cliche, but timely and clever. I liked it on facebook.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 1
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)