Apr 24, 2012, 1:07 PM EDT
North Texas will make Marquette associate head coach Tony Benford its new coach, Jeff Goodman reported.
Benford beat out ESPN analyst Fran Fraschilla for the job and will be introduced at a news conference later this week.
He replaces Johnny Jones, who was 190-146 in 11 seasons at North Texas, including two NCAA appearances. Jones took the LSU job last week.
Benford’s been on the Marquette staff the last for years, serving as one of the top recruiters. He played college hoops at Texas Tech and grew up in New Mexico.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Aaron Gordon: ‘Whatever Coach Miller wants me to play, I’ll play it.’ 0
- Bruce Pearl could have starred in Welcome Back, Kotter in the 1970s 0
- Devin Robinson went to Italy for Eurocamp and got a wake-up call 1
- Tyler (Ulis) the Creator embraces point guard ideal, looking to cut list to four 0
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP