Apr 25, 2012, 3:36 PM EST
Mississippi State seems destined for a rebuilding year (or a few) after the departure of coach Rick Stansbury.
But, new head coach Rick Ray took his first step toward shaping the future of the Bulldogs, grabbing the signature of Jacoby Davis, a North Carolina native who spent this past season at Northwestern Military Academy (Wisc.).
On the year, Davis averaged 21 points and five rebounds per game.
Before signing with Mississippi State, Davis was drawing interest from schools that include North Florida, Houston, Quinnipiac, and Wyoming.
Mississippi State suffered big losses after Stansbury’s departure. In addition to the graduation of Dee Bost, Arnett Moultrie and Renardo Sidney are headed to the NBA draft and Rodney Hood announced that he would transfer.
The Bulldogs finished 21-12 on the year, missing the NCAA tournament and losing in the first round of the NIT tournament to Massachusetts.
Mississippi State will lose six of its top seven scorers from last season.
Ray made the move from Clemson, where he was an assistant coach, to the head position with MSU. Previous to that, he was with Purdue, Northern Illinois, and Indiana State.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)