Apr 25, 2012, 3:36 PM EST
Mississippi State seems destined for a rebuilding year (or a few) after the departure of coach Rick Stansbury.
But, new head coach Rick Ray took his first step toward shaping the future of the Bulldogs, grabbing the signature of Jacoby Davis, a North Carolina native who spent this past season at Northwestern Military Academy (Wisc.).
On the year, Davis averaged 21 points and five rebounds per game.
Before signing with Mississippi State, Davis was drawing interest from schools that include North Florida, Houston, Quinnipiac, and Wyoming.
Mississippi State suffered big losses after Stansbury’s departure. In addition to the graduation of Dee Bost, Arnett Moultrie and Renardo Sidney are headed to the NBA draft and Rodney Hood announced that he would transfer.
The Bulldogs finished 21-12 on the year, missing the NCAA tournament and losing in the first round of the NIT tournament to Massachusetts.
Mississippi State will lose six of its top seven scorers from last season.
Ray made the move from Clemson, where he was an assistant coach, to the head position with MSU. Previous to that, he was with Purdue, Northern Illinois, and Indiana State.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)