Apr 25, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
With Dwight Howard now out for the Olympics and in need of back surgery, who will the United States turn to before the international games in London?
Bill Simmons has an answer: Kentucky’s Anthony Davis.
Dwayne Wade and Ray Allen have talked about their belief that Olympic athletes should be paid, but do you think that Davis, fresh out of college and about to cash in on a rookie deal, is too concerned about that?
As Simmons points out, Davis would be “the ultimate happy-to-be-there” guy. With scorers like LeBron James, Kevin Durant, and Derrick Rose, Davis can make the difference where the US might need it most: defensively.
He showed in the national championship game that, even without demanding the basketball on the offensive end, he can be an invaluable piece of a well-rounded team.
The United States has found out in recent years that, just because you can throw a collection of All-NBA players together, doesn’t mean you’ll breeze to an Olympic gold medal.
Imagine bringing Davis off the bench, in combination down low with a player like Tyson Chandler, who also brings a defensive presence. Add those two players to three elite-level scorers and I like the options that the Americans will have in London.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)