Apr 25, 2012, 4:29 PM EST
With Dwight Howard now out for the Olympics and in need of back surgery, who will the United States turn to before the international games in London?
Bill Simmons has an answer: Kentucky’s Anthony Davis.
Dwayne Wade and Ray Allen have talked about their belief that Olympic athletes should be paid, but do you think that Davis, fresh out of college and about to cash in on a rookie deal, is too concerned about that?
As Simmons points out, Davis would be “the ultimate happy-to-be-there” guy. With scorers like LeBron James, Kevin Durant, and Derrick Rose, Davis can make the difference where the US might need it most: defensively.
He showed in the national championship game that, even without demanding the basketball on the offensive end, he can be an invaluable piece of a well-rounded team.
The United States has found out in recent years that, just because you can throw a collection of All-NBA players together, doesn’t mean you’ll breeze to an Olympic gold medal.
Imagine bringing Davis off the bench, in combination down low with a player like Tyson Chandler, who also brings a defensive presence. Add those two players to three elite-level scorers and I like the options that the Americans will have in London.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)