Apr 26, 2012, 12:09 PM EDT
After a season in which he was one of the best point guards in the nation, Iona senior guard Scott Machado has been honored with the Haggerty Award as the 2012 Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association Player of the Year.
The MBWA honors the best players and coaches in the New York City-Metro area in a given year.
Machado led the Gaels with 13.6 points, 9.9 assists, and five rebounds per game in 2011-12, a season in which Iona finished 25-8, including 15-3 in the MAAC.
The Gaels lost to BYU in a First Four game of the NCAA tournament.
Machado, a Queens, N.Y., native, now enters the NBA draft, where he is projected to be selected between the late first round and mid-second round.
At 6-1, 180 pounds, Machado worked best in Iona’s high-scoring, up-tempo offense last season. He was rivaled by North Carolina’s Kendall Marshall as perhaps the nation’s best point guard.
In other Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association awards, Manhattan coach Steve Masiello and former Wagner coach Dan Hurley shared co-Coach of the Year honors.
Hurley is now at Rhode Island, where he takes over for Jim Baron as the Rams head coach.
St. John’s freshman Moe Harkless, who has declared for the NBA draft, was named the 2012 MBWA Rookie of the Year. He averaged 15.3 points and 8.6 rebounds for the Red Storm in 2011-12.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 4
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3