Apr 26, 2012, 12:09 PM EDT
After a season in which he was one of the best point guards in the nation, Iona senior guard Scott Machado has been honored with the Haggerty Award as the 2012 Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association Player of the Year.
The MBWA honors the best players and coaches in the New York City-Metro area in a given year.
Machado led the Gaels with 13.6 points, 9.9 assists, and five rebounds per game in 2011-12, a season in which Iona finished 25-8, including 15-3 in the MAAC.
The Gaels lost to BYU in a First Four game of the NCAA tournament.
Machado, a Queens, N.Y., native, now enters the NBA draft, where he is projected to be selected between the late first round and mid-second round.
At 6-1, 180 pounds, Machado worked best in Iona’s high-scoring, up-tempo offense last season. He was rivaled by North Carolina’s Kendall Marshall as perhaps the nation’s best point guard.
In other Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association awards, Manhattan coach Steve Masiello and former Wagner coach Dan Hurley shared co-Coach of the Year honors.
Hurley is now at Rhode Island, where he takes over for Jim Baron as the Rams head coach.
St. John’s freshman Moe Harkless, who has declared for the NBA draft, was named the 2012 MBWA Rookie of the Year. He averaged 15.3 points and 8.6 rebounds for the Red Storm in 2011-12.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 5
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)