Apr 26, 2012, 12:09 PM EDT
After a season in which he was one of the best point guards in the nation, Iona senior guard Scott Machado has been honored with the Haggerty Award as the 2012 Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association Player of the Year.
The MBWA honors the best players and coaches in the New York City-Metro area in a given year.
Machado led the Gaels with 13.6 points, 9.9 assists, and five rebounds per game in 2011-12, a season in which Iona finished 25-8, including 15-3 in the MAAC.
The Gaels lost to BYU in a First Four game of the NCAA tournament.
Machado, a Queens, N.Y., native, now enters the NBA draft, where he is projected to be selected between the late first round and mid-second round.
At 6-1, 180 pounds, Machado worked best in Iona’s high-scoring, up-tempo offense last season. He was rivaled by North Carolina’s Kendall Marshall as perhaps the nation’s best point guard.
In other Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association awards, Manhattan coach Steve Masiello and former Wagner coach Dan Hurley shared co-Coach of the Year honors.
Hurley is now at Rhode Island, where he takes over for Jim Baron as the Rams head coach.
St. John’s freshman Moe Harkless, who has declared for the NBA draft, was named the 2012 MBWA Rookie of the Year. He averaged 15.3 points and 8.6 rebounds for the Red Storm in 2011-12.
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and a decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 3
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (3)