Apr 27, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT
Bruce Weber landed his first signee at Kansas State on Friday as the school announced that 6-8 power forward Darrell Johnson sent in his Letter of Intent.
A native of St. Louis, Johnson was a second team all-state selection at Parkway North High School and helped lead his team to its first-ever Class 5, District 5 title.
“I’m excited to get a recruit of Darrell’s quality this late in the signing period,” said Weber in the school release. “He is a player that we have watched for some time and we feel will be a great fit for our team at the power forward spot.
“He has tremendous physical gifts, including the ability to defend the rim and be a really good shot blocker. We like his toughness and workmanlike attitude from having played both football and basketball.
“He also hails from a strong high school basketball area in St. Louis, which we hope will become a strong base for our recruiting efforts.”
Johnson joins a front court that will be led by Thomas Gipson and Jordan Henriquez.
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- George Washington joins ‘cool court club’, redesigns home floor 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 12
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims