Apr 27, 2012, 6:32 PM EDT
Win a national title, and you get all kinds of invitations to do all kinds of things. Kentucky coach John Calipari threw out a first pitch for the big league Cincinnati Reds last week, which is pretty big-time. Forward Terrence Jones took advantage of a similar opportunity this week, throwing out the first pitch for the Lexington Legends, the Class A affiliate of the Houston Astros.
Technically speaking, Jones threw out the second first pitch. That’s because he more or less donated the first first pitch (still with me?) to Stone Cold Willow, a Kentucky superfan who had to quit school at Lexington’s Bluegrass Community and Technical College due to dire financial straits. Jones is trying to help Willow get back on his feet, drawing attention to his plight by having his friend join him on the mound in, and in a more tangible way, as reported by Dan Rieffer of Lexington’s WTVQ TV.
Jones along with friends Wes Grams and Chaddy Boy created a song called “Teach Me ‘Bout Kentucky,” which is a play on the hip-hop hit “Teach Me How to Dougie.” The song is currently available on iTunes. A portion of the proceeds from sales of the song will benefit Reese’s Rangers Breathe Foundation and the Stone Cold Willow college and dental fund.
OK, OK, I know what you really want to hear. How did Jones pitch? Let’s just say the NBA draft is still his best bet. Both Jones and Willow sailed their pitches high over the backstop. Watch the video at WTVQ’s site.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor and tweets @stfhoops.
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Aaron Gordon: ‘Whatever Coach Miller wants me to play, I’ll play it.’ 0
- Bruce Pearl could have starred in Welcome Back, Kotter in the 1970s 0
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires