Apr 28, 2012, 8:27 AM EDT
While on a visit to Syracuse last night, former Duke forward Michael Gbinije committed to play for Jim Boeheim and the Orange, multiple outlets are now reporting.
The 6-7 Gbinije got few minutes in his freshman season with the Blue Devils, averaging 1.8 points and 0.9 rebounds per game in just under six minutes per contest.
Coming out of high school, Gbinije was a Top 30 recruit, coming to Duke in the same recruiting class as NBA-bound guard Austin Rivers. He was a Jordan Brand All-American in his senior season.
Most amazingly for Gbinije, Syracuse is–get this– the sixth school in six years for the Virginia native, and is moving away from a situation at Duke where he may have been competing for minutes with redshirt freshman Alex Murphy next season.
Duke missed out on blue-chip prospect Shabazz Muhammad this month, as Muhammad opted to play for Ben Howland at UCLA, and is now squarely focused on Friend’s Central (Pa.) forward Amile Jefferson. Jefferson is built similarly to Gbinije, at 6-7.
For Syracuse, the ties to the Washington D.C. and Virginia area remain strong. As Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com points out, Gbinije joins incoming freshman Jerami Grant at Syracuse.
Gbinije will have to sit out a year, as per NCAA rules, and is scheduled to be eligible to begin the 2013-14 season.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)