Apr 28, 2012, 5:29 PM EDT
David Teel of the Daily Press is reporting that, according to sources, VCU athletic officials will recommend to VCU president Michael Rao that the Rams stay in the Colonial Athletic Association for at least one more season.
This report comes on the heels of a reports last month that Virginia Commonwealth was nearing discussions to enter the Atlantic-10.
CAA counterpart George Mason was considering the move as well, along with Butler from the Horizon League.
Head coach Shaka Smart led the Rams to a CAA tournament title this past season, finishing with an overall record of 29-7. They lost to Indiana in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament.
The year previous, the Rams made an unlikely run to the Final Four in Houston.
Where VCU goes after this additional season is still to be determined, but a move to the Atlantic 10 would certainly be beneficial to the conference.
After having just lost Temple to the Big East, the conference is looking to add additional prominent schools.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)