Apr 28, 2012, 5:29 PM EDT
David Teel of the Daily Press is reporting that, according to sources, VCU athletic officials will recommend to VCU president Michael Rao that the Rams stay in the Colonial Athletic Association for at least one more season.
This report comes on the heels of a reports last month that Virginia Commonwealth was nearing discussions to enter the Atlantic-10.
CAA counterpart George Mason was considering the move as well, along with Butler from the Horizon League.
Head coach Shaka Smart led the Rams to a CAA tournament title this past season, finishing with an overall record of 29-7. They lost to Indiana in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament.
The year previous, the Rams made an unlikely run to the Final Four in Houston.
Where VCU goes after this additional season is still to be determined, but a move to the Atlantic 10 would certainly be beneficial to the conference.
After having just lost Temple to the Big East, the conference is looking to add additional prominent schools.
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)