Apr 28, 2012, 5:29 PM EDT
David Teel of the Daily Press is reporting that, according to sources, VCU athletic officials will recommend to VCU president Michael Rao that the Rams stay in the Colonial Athletic Association for at least one more season.
This report comes on the heels of a reports last month that Virginia Commonwealth was nearing discussions to enter the Atlantic-10.
CAA counterpart George Mason was considering the move as well, along with Butler from the Horizon League.
Head coach Shaka Smart led the Rams to a CAA tournament title this past season, finishing with an overall record of 29-7. They lost to Indiana in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament.
The year previous, the Rams made an unlikely run to the Final Four in Houston.
Where VCU goes after this additional season is still to be determined, but a move to the Atlantic 10 would certainly be beneficial to the conference.
After having just lost Temple to the Big East, the conference is looking to add additional prominent schools.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)