Apr 28, 2012, 5:29 PM EST
David Teel of the Daily Press is reporting that, according to sources, VCU athletic officials will recommend to VCU president Michael Rao that the Rams stay in the Colonial Athletic Association for at least one more season.
This report comes on the heels of a reports last month that Virginia Commonwealth was nearing discussions to enter the Atlantic-10.
CAA counterpart George Mason was considering the move as well, along with Butler from the Horizon League.
Head coach Shaka Smart led the Rams to a CAA tournament title this past season, finishing with an overall record of 29-7. They lost to Indiana in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament.
The year previous, the Rams made an unlikely run to the Final Four in Houston.
Where VCU goes after this additional season is still to be determined, but a move to the Atlantic 10 would certainly be beneficial to the conference.
After having just lost Temple to the Big East, the conference is looking to add additional prominent schools.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)