Apr 28, 2012, 5:29 PM EST
David Teel of the Daily Press is reporting that, according to sources, VCU athletic officials will recommend to VCU president Michael Rao that the Rams stay in the Colonial Athletic Association for at least one more season.
This report comes on the heels of a reports last month that Virginia Commonwealth was nearing discussions to enter the Atlantic-10.
CAA counterpart George Mason was considering the move as well, along with Butler from the Horizon League.
Head coach Shaka Smart led the Rams to a CAA tournament title this past season, finishing with an overall record of 29-7. They lost to Indiana in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament.
The year previous, the Rams made an unlikely run to the Final Four in Houston.
Where VCU goes after this additional season is still to be determined, but a move to the Atlantic 10 would certainly be beneficial to the conference.
After having just lost Temple to the Big East, the conference is looking to add additional prominent schools.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)