Apr 28, 2012, 1:15 PM EST
It’s the time of year when the buzzwords pop up again. “Five star,” “blue chipper,” “high-major.”
Evaluating players on the AAU circuit is an inexact science and, sometimes, some prospects slated to make a big impact don’t pan out.
Mike Huguenin of Yahoo! Sports took at look at some former five-star prospects that haven’t exactly lived up to potential.
Not to say that these players haven’t produced at the college level, because many of them have, but they aren’t necessarily where they were initially projected to be.
Take, for example, Duke forward Ryan Kelly.
Ranked as the 20th overall prospect in the Class of 2009, Kelly has averaged just over six points and three rebounds in his career with the Blue Devils.
But that doesn’t mean he has been unproductive.
Many say part of the reason Duke fell to Lehigh in the NCAA tournament was because Kelly was out with injury. Duke was then unable to stretch the floor and Lehigh came away with the 15/2 upset.
Take a look at the list and judge for yourself.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 5
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 31
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 6
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (31)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)