Apr 29, 2012, 11:23 PM EDT
In the aftermath of Johnny Jones leaving to take over at LSU, North Texas freshman forward Tony Mitchell nearly left school to enter the 2012 NBA Draft.
According to Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com, Mitchell will return to school for his sophomore season.
New head coach Tony Benford will have one of the early favorites for Sun Belt Player of the Year back on campus, and the Mean Green are talented enough to reach the Big Dance in 2013.
Benford, who was previously an assistant at Marquette, recruited Mitchell according to Goodman so it’s possible that the prior connection helped Mitchell come to this final decision.
The 6-8 forward played in just 23 games last season but was a very tough matchup for opponents, averaging 14.7 points and 10.3 rebounds per game for North Texas.
The Mean Green reached the title game of the Sun Belt tournament, where they fell to Western Kentucky.
Mitchell’s return puts North Texas right there with Middle Tennessee for preseason favorite status, with the Blue Raiders having to replace forward LaRon Dendy.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)