Apr 30, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
Former Michigan State guard Brandon Wood was arrested in Chicago Sunday morning after allegedly assaulting a woman and battering another, MLive.com reports.
Police say the 23-year-old Wood slapped a young woman and verbally threatened a 32-year-old homeowner, following her insistence that he leave her home.
He was arrested around 3:30 a.m. and was charged with battery, assault, and criminal trespassing of a residence. The charges are all misdemeanors.
Wood averaged 8.6 points and 2.9 rebounds per game in his senior season at Michigan State and was in Chicago training for the upcoming NBA draft.
Wood is the second player from the Michigan State program to have a run-in with the law in recent weeks, after forward Derrick Nix was arrested on charges of operating a vehicle with the presence of drugs and marijuana possession.
Nix was suspended from the Michigan State team.
Wood played previously at Southern Illinois and Valparaiso, before transferring to Michigan State, taking advantage of the NCAA’s one-year transfer rule.
He posted bond on Sunday and is set to appear in court on June 1.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)