Apr 30, 2012, 1:35 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA—It’s the easy storyline, to see a sharpshooting guard from Utah who is committed to BYU and immediately draw a connection to the former all-American who gave birth to the term “JimmerMania.”
But Nick Emery, a 2013 guard from Lone Peak High School (Utah), not only has to field comparisons to Fredette, he is also working to make a name for himself after his brother, Jackson, averaged nearly 11 points per game in his career at BYU.
He tries to focus on the less sensational similarities.
“My brother Jackson hates to lose, and that’s me too,” Emery told NBCSports.com at the Hoop Group Jamfest in Philadelphia. “I like the way Jimmer plays. I make my game like his. He’s crafty. I like that style and I mimick that a lot.”
Emery, a lethal three-point shooter, averaged 31 points and seven rebounds for a Lone Peak team that went 22-3 this past season.
He is a Top 50 player in the Class of 2013 and broke out at the 2012 Brandon Jennings Invitational, where he poured in eight threes and won the MVP.
Emery is a 6-2 lefty with a smooth stroke and, by the time he gets to BYU, will be paired with another lefty guard in the backcourt, Matt Carlino.
“We’re going to have a great team,” he said. “BYU is a great program. They have a winning record every year. Coach Rose’s offense is the same pretty much as ours. I like to run.”
He says religion was also a motivating factor in his decision, though not the only one.
“[Religion] helps. I kept my options opens a while,” he said. “I’ve always dreamed of playing [at BYU]. It’s jam-packed. They get 22,000 there every game, so I’m excited to go.”
In the first game of the Jamfest in Philadelphia on Friday night, Emery went for 34 points and 12 rebounds, including seven three-pointers.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)