Apr 30, 2012, 1:35 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA—It’s the easy storyline, to see a sharpshooting guard from Utah who is committed to BYU and immediately draw a connection to the former all-American who gave birth to the term “JimmerMania.”
But Nick Emery, a 2013 guard from Lone Peak High School (Utah), not only has to field comparisons to Fredette, he is also working to make a name for himself after his brother, Jackson, averaged nearly 11 points per game in his career at BYU.
He tries to focus on the less sensational similarities.
“My brother Jackson hates to lose, and that’s me too,” Emery told NBCSports.com at the Hoop Group Jamfest in Philadelphia. “I like the way Jimmer plays. I make my game like his. He’s crafty. I like that style and I mimick that a lot.”
Emery, a lethal three-point shooter, averaged 31 points and seven rebounds for a Lone Peak team that went 22-3 this past season.
He is a Top 50 player in the Class of 2013 and broke out at the 2012 Brandon Jennings Invitational, where he poured in eight threes and won the MVP.
Emery is a 6-2 lefty with a smooth stroke and, by the time he gets to BYU, will be paired with another lefty guard in the backcourt, Matt Carlino.
“We’re going to have a great team,” he said. “BYU is a great program. They have a winning record every year. Coach Rose’s offense is the same pretty much as ours. I like to run.”
He says religion was also a motivating factor in his decision, though not the only one.
“[Religion] helps. I kept my options opens a while,” he said. “I’ve always dreamed of playing [at BYU]. It’s jam-packed. They get 22,000 there every game, so I’m excited to go.”
In the first game of the Jamfest in Philadelphia on Friday night, Emery went for 34 points and 12 rebounds, including seven three-pointers.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)