Apr 30, 2012, 1:35 PM EST
PHILADELPHIA—It’s the easy storyline, to see a sharpshooting guard from Utah who is committed to BYU and immediately draw a connection to the former all-American who gave birth to the term “JimmerMania.”
But Nick Emery, a 2013 guard from Lone Peak High School (Utah), not only has to field comparisons to Fredette, he is also working to make a name for himself after his brother, Jackson, averaged nearly 11 points per game in his career at BYU.
He tries to focus on the less sensational similarities.
“My brother Jackson hates to lose, and that’s me too,” Emery told NBCSports.com at the Hoop Group Jamfest in Philadelphia. “I like the way Jimmer plays. I make my game like his. He’s crafty. I like that style and I mimick that a lot.”
Emery, a lethal three-point shooter, averaged 31 points and seven rebounds for a Lone Peak team that went 22-3 this past season.
He is a Top 50 player in the Class of 2013 and broke out at the 2012 Brandon Jennings Invitational, where he poured in eight threes and won the MVP.
Emery is a 6-2 lefty with a smooth stroke and, by the time he gets to BYU, will be paired with another lefty guard in the backcourt, Matt Carlino.
“We’re going to have a great team,” he said. “BYU is a great program. They have a winning record every year. Coach Rose’s offense is the same pretty much as ours. I like to run.”
He says religion was also a motivating factor in his decision, though not the only one.
“[Religion] helps. I kept my options opens a while,” he said. “I’ve always dreamed of playing [at BYU]. It’s jam-packed. They get 22,000 there every game, so I’m excited to go.”
In the first game of the Jamfest in Philadelphia on Friday night, Emery went for 34 points and 12 rebounds, including seven three-pointers.
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)