May 1, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
Mark Lyons views his transfer from Xavier as “a business decision.” Coach Chris Mack has a slightly different take.
Once the Musketeers’ season ended against Baylor in the Sweet 16, the senior guard told the Cincinnati Enquirer that he “wanted the keys to the car” to he could work on improving his NBA draft stock.
“There aren’t a lot of 6-1 shooting guards in the NBA,” Lyons told the paper.
But that wasn’t something Mack want to do. He’ll turn to Dee Davis and incoming freshman Semaj Christon to replace Tu Holloway at point guard.
“After our end of the season meeting with Mark it became apparent that a change for both parties was the right thing moving forward,” Mack told the paper. “During our meeting expectations were outlined for his fifth and final season, areas in which I believe needed improvement. Mark did not recognize these expectations as being important and ultimately it was decided that a change of scenery would be in his best interest. I wish Mark well.”
Should Lyons have left a program that’s won 73 games during his three seasons there even if his role as the 2-guard wouldn’t have changed? If he can find a spot that’ll let him play point guard, then it’ll almost certainly be a boost for his pro career.
If he can pull that off. It’s not like a team such as Arizona or Kansas or Kentucky – his three top landing spots – will be willing to let Lyons work out the kinks in his game if it impacts their season. Mack wasn’t. Why would they?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Next college hoops season will begin and end in Texas 0
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?