May 1, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
- Fran Fraschilla fills us in on the guys who will be forced to replace NBA prospects (Insiders Only)
– So maybe Larry Brown does know what he’s doing. Jeff Goodman is reporting that SMU is close to landing troubled-Arizona transfer Josiah Turner as well as former-Illini guard Crandall Head. Both players would be major “gets” for the Mustangs. Goodman makes a great point: Brown has dealt with head cases before. He’s coached both Allen Iverson and Rasheed Wallace, both of whom are all-world caliber head cases
– Western Kentucky transfer Vinny Zollo still doesn’t know his future become of silly APR-related shenanigans
– The Maryland Terrapins were supposed to be a team to watch out for in 2012-2013, but the past 48 hours have not been kind to the Terps. Pe’Shon Howard got arrested for disorderly conduct, and Terrell Stoglin and Mychal Parker were suspended for a full season. Instead of sitting out the year, Parker will opt to transfer and Stoglin will enter the NBA draft. Howard will return, but is currently rehabbing an injury and his status for next season is up in the air. The quality of the Terps program is certainly up in the air as well
– Seriously, when was the last time NC-State was the favorite to win the ACC? It has to be at least 25 years since that’s happened
– Yes Tar Heels fan, you are correct, there are a lot of bizarre things going on in the ACC right now
– Rob Jones, a rising senior at St. Mary’s is one of the most ferocious-looking players in the country. He is so terrifying that the Minnesota Vikings actually extended a training camp invite to the power forward
– Duke assistant coach Chris Collins will not be the next head coach at Illinois State despite heavy speculation
– According to a report from the Lexington Herald-Ledger, Louisville has the most intrinsic value of any college basketball team in the county. Unfortunately for their Cardinals, intrinsic value won’t help cu down the nets
– The WAC is on its last legs. UT-San Antonio and Texas State have decided not to join and Utah State is headed to the Mountain West. The Aggies have had a very solid hoops program for the past decade or so, and a move to the MWC should help boost it’s profile
– After a month of weighing his options, North Texas sophomore Tony Mitchell has decided to return to school. The Green Terror could be a sexy mid-major pick to crack the top-25 at the beginning of next season
– The Big East is going to see it’s fair share of turnover. The conference has nine players leaving for the NBA, 21 graduating seniors and even more transfers
– Purdue’s Robbie Hummel received the Big Ten Conference’s Medal of Honor. Robbie’s dad Glenn won the same award back in 1976. It’s damn near impossible to not absolutely love this kid. His presence in college hoops will be sorely missed
– Oh, I should have mentioned, UTSA and Texas State are joining the Sun Belt. Don’t look now, but the Sun Belt is going to be pretty good the next couple of years. Denver gets better every season, Middle Tennessee just gave Kermit Davis an extension, North Texas returns a potential lottery pick, and Arkansas-Little Rock is always a tough out. Look for the Sun Belt to make the leap from “low-major” to “mid-major”
– According to a e report, former-Kentucky player Richie Farmer abused state power by using state-regulated workers for his own personal services
– Morehead State head coach Donnie Tyndall will be named the next head coach at Southern Miss, replacing Larry Eustachy, who left in order to take the Colorado State job
– With Butler about to make its move to the Atlantic-10, Cleveland State might be given an interesting opportunity
– After what took place this past season, you would think it’s a lead-pipe-lock that Indiana and Kentucky continue their non-conference rivalry. But the future of the game seems to be up in the air. How much is a IU/UK game really worth?
– Former-Virginia Tech assistant coach James Johnson will be named the new head coach of the Hokies. Johnson initially left VaTech early in the off-season to take a job at Clemson, but will return to Blacksburg to man the sidelines next season. But how long will it take before Johnson has this program up and running again?
– Binghamton has fired head coach Mark Macon after just two seasons at the helm, including a 2-29 finish this year. Who are the candidates for the job? Oh nobody really, just a certain former high-major coach with a propensity for fine women’s accessories and a limited amount of self-control
– UConn assistant coach Glen Miller is among the favorites for the head coaching position at Brown
Jan 30, 2015, 11:01 PM EST
Here is a rundown of all the action from Friday night.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
The Jayhawks will wear these on Feb. 28.
Jan 30, 2015, 7:45 PM EST
That rivalry ended when Mizzou left the Big 12 in favor of the SEC.
Jan 30, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
Trey Davis left the court with only seconds remaining after colliding into a Kendall Pollard screen.
Jan 30, 2015, 5:45 PM EST
The backup guard has missed the last five games.
Jan 30, 2015, 5:09 PM EST
“Big Country,” Randy Rutherford and the rest of the squad is expected back for the team’s game against Kansas to celebrate the 20th anniversary of their trip to the Final Four.
Jan 30, 2015, 4:04 PM EST
Bruce Pearl expressed remorse over how his tenure at Tennessee ended and also remains thankful for former Tennessee AD Mike Hamilton.
Jan 30, 2015, 2:47 PM EST
Having already lost one game in Ivy League play, Harvard looks to bounce back with a win at Princeton.
Jan 30, 2015, 12:50 PM EST
Aaron White suffered a stinger in Iowa’s loss to Purdue, and Gabe Olaseni is dealing with a sprained ankle suffered Monday.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:43 AM EST
The donation will be used to improve the basketball offices and practice facility, with leftover funds being used for any improvements that may need to be made down the line.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Kansas’ incredibly rigorous schedule moves them to the top line in the latest update.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:35 AM EST
Thursday’s loss was a reminder of the fact that these current Utah players are still getting used to being the “hunted.”
Jan 30, 2015, 9:50 AM EST
While D’Angelo Russell gets most of the attention (and rightfully so), another freshman has stepped forward in the last two games for the Buckeyes.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:02 AM EST
The Super Bowl isn’t the only high-octane action we’ll see this weekend.
Jan 30, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
With Shannon Scott being a senior and D’Angelo Russell considered to be a possible lottery pick if he goes pro, JaQuan Lyle’s commitment is a nice insurance policy moving forward.
Jan 29, 2015, 10:57 PM EST
Ike Nwamu scored 20 points in the Bears’ 75-72 overtime win over Chattanooga, but should he have two (or three) more points to his credit?
Jan 29, 2015, 9:38 PM EST
Providence’s Kris Dunn posted the program’s first triple-double since 2006, and UMass held off Dayton in Amherst.
Jan 29, 2015, 8:44 PM EST
The third year of the event means an improved schedule, with all ten games being played on one day.
Bradley’s leading scorer one of three players facing disciplinary action following incident Thursday morning
Jan 29, 2015, 6:57 PM EST
Warren Jones is averaging a team-best 13.8 points per game for Bradley, which has lost six of its last seven games.
Jan 29, 2015, 5:46 PM EST
Leland King led Brown in scoring and was also tied for the team lead in rebounds per game.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (5)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)