May 1, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
- Fran Fraschilla fills us in on the guys who will be forced to replace NBA prospects (Insiders Only)
- So maybe Larry Brown does know what he’s doing. Jeff Goodman is reporting that SMU is close to landing troubled-Arizona transfer Josiah Turner as well as former-Illini guard Crandall Head. Both players would be major “gets” for the Mustangs. Goodman makes a great point: Brown has dealt with head cases before. He’s coached both Allen Iverson and Rasheed Wallace, both of whom are all-world caliber head cases
– Western Kentucky transfer Vinny Zollo still doesn’t know his future become of silly APR-related shenanigans
- The Maryland Terrapins were supposed to be a team to watch out for in 2012-2013, but the past 48 hours have not been kind to the Terps. Pe’Shon Howard got arrested for disorderly conduct, and Terrell Stoglin and Mychal Parker were suspended for a full season. Instead of sitting out the year, Parker will opt to transfer and Stoglin will enter the NBA draft. Howard will return, but is currently rehabbing an injury and his status for next season is up in the air. The quality of the Terps program is certainly up in the air as well
- Seriously, when was the last time NC-State was the favorite to win the ACC? It has to be at least 25 years since that’s happened
- Yes Tar Heels fan, you are correct, there are a lot of bizarre things going on in the ACC right now
- Rob Jones, a rising senior at St. Mary’s is one of the most ferocious-looking players in the country. He is so terrifying that the Minnesota Vikings actually extended a training camp invite to the power forward
- Duke assistant coach Chris Collins will not be the next head coach at Illinois State despite heavy speculation
- According to a report from the Lexington Herald-Ledger, Louisville has the most intrinsic value of any college basketball team in the county. Unfortunately for their Cardinals, intrinsic value won’t help cu down the nets
- The WAC is on its last legs. UT-San Antonio and Texas State have decided not to join and Utah State is headed to the Mountain West. The Aggies have had a very solid hoops program for the past decade or so, and a move to the MWC should help boost it’s profile
- After a month of weighing his options, North Texas sophomore Tony Mitchell has decided to return to school. The Green Terror could be a sexy mid-major pick to crack the top-25 at the beginning of next season
- The Big East is going to see it’s fair share of turnover. The conference has nine players leaving for the NBA, 21 graduating seniors and even more transfers
- Purdue’s Robbie Hummel received the Big Ten Conference’s Medal of Honor. Robbie’s dad Glenn won the same award back in 1976. It’s damn near impossible to not absolutely love this kid. His presence in college hoops will be sorely missed
- Oh, I should have mentioned, UTSA and Texas State are joining the Sun Belt. Don’t look now, but the Sun Belt is going to be pretty good the next couple of years. Denver gets better every season, Middle Tennessee just gave Kermit Davis an extension, North Texas returns a potential lottery pick, and Arkansas-Little Rock is always a tough out. Look for the Sun Belt to make the leap from “low-major” to “mid-major”
- According to a e report, former-Kentucky player Richie Farmer abused state power by using state-regulated workers for his own personal services
- Morehead State head coach Donnie Tyndall will be named the next head coach at Southern Miss, replacing Larry Eustachy, who left in order to take the Colorado State job
- With Butler about to make its move to the Atlantic-10, Cleveland State might be given an interesting opportunity
- After what took place this past season, you would think it’s a lead-pipe-lock that Indiana and Kentucky continue their non-conference rivalry. But the future of the game seems to be up in the air. How much is a IU/UK game really worth?
- Former-Virginia Tech assistant coach James Johnson will be named the new head coach of the Hokies. Johnson initially left VaTech early in the off-season to take a job at Clemson, but will return to Blacksburg to man the sidelines next season. But how long will it take before Johnson has this program up and running again?
- Binghamton has fired head coach Mark Macon after just two seasons at the helm, including a 2-29 finish this year. Who are the candidates for the job? Oh nobody really, just a certain former high-major coach with a propensity for fine women’s accessories and a limited amount of self-control
- UConn assistant coach Glen Miller is among the favorites for the head coaching position at Brown
Oct 24, 2014, 12:06 AM EDT
Syracuse’s men’s basketball and football programs are under investigation, with the stakes being higher for Jim Boeheim’s program.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Joshua Smith averaged 11.5 points per game before being ruled academically ineligible last season.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:49 PM EDT
Cam Payne became the star of Murray State as a freshman, but he wouldn’t have gotten there if he had a back up. Why?
Oct 23, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT
The preseason favorites to win the Atlantic 10 added a new teammate Thursday.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
Shawn Lester averaged 11.9 points and 4.2 rebounds per game in the sixth man role last season.
Oct 23, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Hallice Cooke will have one hip operated on Monday, with the second surgery coming four weeks later.
Oct 23, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT
Christian James joins Rashard Odomes and Akolda Manyang in Oklahoma’s 2015 haul.
Oct 23, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
The OVC looks like a three-team race this season.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
Nice work editing in the music.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
Who are the top 20 perimeters in the country this season?
Oct 23, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
This scandal will be a stain on North Carolina’s sports and academic programs for a long time.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
This is about as embarrassing as being POSTERIZED can get.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
The Shockers went to the Final Four in 2013 and undefeated in 2014. What is next for them?
Oct 22, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Cody Larson was South Dakotas Next Big Thing. He returned in infamy, but that has not stopped him from succeeding.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
Wisconsin held its third annual “Shooting Down Cancer” event Wednesday, with their goal being to #MakeBoPay.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:13 PM EDT
Austin Nichols is the reigning American Athletic Conference ROY, and sophomore Avery Woodson is expected to compete for minutes in a crowded by inexperienced backcourt.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Cezar Guerrero knocked down five straight from half-court during the team’s Red and White Hoops Night event Tuesday.
Oct 22, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Oregon didn’t have much depth to begin with due to various personnel issues, so Michael Chandler’s lingering knee problem is a major concern.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
People don’t come more intense than Bruce Pearl.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Given SMU’s depth on the perimeter, LaGerald Vick’s decision to move back in classes will help both parties in the future.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)