May 2, 2012, 10:33 AM EDT
It looks like Brian Gregory may have seen the national outrage sparked by Bo Ryan’s transfer debacle at Wisconson, and has decided to steer clear of any possibility of it happening at his program at Georgia Tech.
As embattled forward Glen Rice Jr. prepares to leave the team and transfer, Gregory has now publicly said that he will not bar any schools from Rice’s list of possible destinations.
“Probably with UGA, it’s the in-state rivalry thing and so forth,” Gregory told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “But I will be honest with you, if it ever got to a situation where a kid really wanted to go to a specific school, I wouldn’t fight it … I wouldn’t fight it.”
Rice was dismissed from the team after multiple suspensions. His most recent trouble stemmed from his involvement in a shooting outside a nightclub in Atlanta, where he was charged with permitting unlawful operation, according to a report by The Associated Press.
Perhaps we are seeing the beginning of a trend.
After the outrage of Ryan’s decision to severely restrict the transfer options of Badger Jared Uthoff, NCAA coaches may be taking the hint that, because of all the other restrictions placed on student-athletes, public opinion has sided with players when it comes to transfer.
Gregory’s explanation has been one of the most logically grounded we have seen.
“That’s kind of our blanket policy,” Gregory told the AJC. “If any kid comes up to me and says ‘These are the schools’ and one is in the ACC, then I’ll explain the rule about ACC transfers and that usually eliminates the scenario immediately because no kid wants to sit out two years and lose a year of eligibility in the process.”
It’s almost refreshing.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)