May 2, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
When coach Billy Gillispie was hired as the head coach at Texas Tech, the 2011 recruiting class for the Red Raiders included either 10 verbally committed or signed players during a tumultuous off-season. With the recent addition of former Mississippi State signee Josh Gray, a talented point guard, the Red Raiders now have an expected incoming group of nine prospects.
For those doing the math at home, college basketball teams have 13 scholarships, so it remains to be seen how the roster will shake out in Lubbock next season.
Gray, high scoring guard from Houston, is one of three members of the class that are considered top-150 national high school prospects by at least one source, along with active power forward Wannah Bail, and former Arkansas-signee Aaron Ross, a 6-8 forward. Those three could form a core group that brings Texas Tech basketball back.
Add those three players to a recruiting class that also includes touted JC prospects in combo guard Trency Jackson, center Rodrigo Silva and point guards Daylen Robinson and Jamal Williams, and there is some talent to work with for Gillispie and his staff.
It seems certain that not all of the prospects in the class will actually end up on campus, as six guards trying to fit on the roster in an incoming class never seems to end well. Couple that with some returning players that will have to transfer to free up slots, and it isn’t exactly clear what Texas Tech is planning for next season.
Texas Tech has had somewhat of a mad scientist approach to the chemistry involved in building a college basketball roster, but there’s no doubt that Gillispie has talent in the pipeline for the future. The huge class of talent could be difficult to mold together, but the building blocks are set for the Red Raiders.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 1
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)