May 3, 2012, 10:27 PM EST
Thursday evening brought good news to the coaching staffs at Nebraska and Vanderbilt in the form of verbal commitments from much-needed 2012 prospects.
New Nebraska head coach Tim Miles landed a big man in the form of 7-1 center Sergej Vucetic, who was also being pursued by Providence and other high-major programs.
The Huskers are due to have four players 6-10 or taller back in Lincoln next season, but the highest scorer of that group is Brandon Ubel and he averaged 6.7 points per game.
Vucetic is the first front court commitment for Nebraska, joining an incoming class that consists of point guards Deverell Biggs (junior college) and Benny Parker, and shooting guard Shavon Shields.
As for Vanderbilt, their landing of versatile 6-8 forward Sheldon Jeter was much-needed given how much production leaves Nashville.
All five starters depart, meaning that there’s plenty of room for both young returnees and newcomers to step in and earn playing time.
Jeter, who was named Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Player of the Year, averaged 21.8 points and 12 rebounds per game for a Beaver Falls team that won a WPIAL Class AA championship.
Jeter’s versatility, which should fit in well with Kevin Stallings’ system, allows him to play multiple positions on the floor.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 3
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 2
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)