May 3, 2012, 10:27 PM EST
Thursday evening brought good news to the coaching staffs at Nebraska and Vanderbilt in the form of verbal commitments from much-needed 2012 prospects.
New Nebraska head coach Tim Miles landed a big man in the form of 7-1 center Sergej Vucetic, who was also being pursued by Providence and other high-major programs.
The Huskers are due to have four players 6-10 or taller back in Lincoln next season, but the highest scorer of that group is Brandon Ubel and he averaged 6.7 points per game.
Vucetic is the first front court commitment for Nebraska, joining an incoming class that consists of point guards Deverell Biggs (junior college) and Benny Parker, and shooting guard Shavon Shields.
As for Vanderbilt, their landing of versatile 6-8 forward Sheldon Jeter was much-needed given how much production leaves Nashville.
All five starters depart, meaning that there’s plenty of room for both young returnees and newcomers to step in and earn playing time.
Jeter, who was named Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Player of the Year, averaged 21.8 points and 12 rebounds per game for a Beaver Falls team that won a WPIAL Class AA championship.
Jeter’s versatility, which should fit in well with Kevin Stallings’ system, allows him to play multiple positions on the floor.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)