May 3, 2012, 10:27 PM EST
Thursday evening brought good news to the coaching staffs at Nebraska and Vanderbilt in the form of verbal commitments from much-needed 2012 prospects.
New Nebraska head coach Tim Miles landed a big man in the form of 7-1 center Sergej Vucetic, who was also being pursued by Providence and other high-major programs.
The Huskers are due to have four players 6-10 or taller back in Lincoln next season, but the highest scorer of that group is Brandon Ubel and he averaged 6.7 points per game.
Vucetic is the first front court commitment for Nebraska, joining an incoming class that consists of point guards Deverell Biggs (junior college) and Benny Parker, and shooting guard Shavon Shields.
As for Vanderbilt, their landing of versatile 6-8 forward Sheldon Jeter was much-needed given how much production leaves Nashville.
All five starters depart, meaning that there’s plenty of room for both young returnees and newcomers to step in and earn playing time.
Jeter, who was named Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Player of the Year, averaged 21.8 points and 12 rebounds per game for a Beaver Falls team that won a WPIAL Class AA championship.
Jeter’s versatility, which should fit in well with Kevin Stallings’ system, allows him to play multiple positions on the floor.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 2
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)