May 3, 2012, 10:27 PM EDT
Thursday evening brought good news to the coaching staffs at Nebraska and Vanderbilt in the form of verbal commitments from much-needed 2012 prospects.
New Nebraska head coach Tim Miles landed a big man in the form of 7-1 center Sergej Vucetic, who was also being pursued by Providence and other high-major programs.
The Huskers are due to have four players 6-10 or taller back in Lincoln next season, but the highest scorer of that group is Brandon Ubel and he averaged 6.7 points per game.
Vucetic is the first front court commitment for Nebraska, joining an incoming class that consists of point guards Deverell Biggs (junior college) and Benny Parker, and shooting guard Shavon Shields.
As for Vanderbilt, their landing of versatile 6-8 forward Sheldon Jeter was much-needed given how much production leaves Nashville.
All five starters depart, meaning that there’s plenty of room for both young returnees and newcomers to step in and earn playing time.
Jeter, who was named Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Player of the Year, averaged 21.8 points and 12 rebounds per game for a Beaver Falls team that won a WPIAL Class AA championship.
Jeter’s versatility, which should fit in well with Kevin Stallings’ system, allows him to play multiple positions on the floor.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)