May 3, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Coastal Carolina forward Sam McLaurin has announced via Twitter that he will complete his fourth year of college eligibility at Illinois.
The Havana, Fla., native will graduate from Coastal Carolina and be able to play right away for one year under the NCAA’s 5th year transfer rule.
Standing 6-8, 230 pounds, McLaurin averaged 9.7 points and 7.6 rebounds for the Chanticleers last season, as part of a team that 19-12, including 12-6 in the Big South.
McLaurin’s best game of the season came against Virginia Military Institute on December 1, when he went for 19 points on 8-for-11 shooting.
In 2010-11, McLaurin was second in the Big South with 1.8 blocked shots per game.
New head coach John Groce takes over for Bruce Weber in 2012-13, after Weber was fired and was eventually hired to fill the vacancy at Kansas State.
Groce is coming off of a Sweet 16 run with Ohio.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)