May 3, 2012, 6:52 PM EDT
Illinois added Sam McLaurin to their roster for next season.
McLaurin spent the past four years in the Coastal Carolina program, but thanks to an NCAA rule, since McLaurin has graduated with eligibility remaining, he can transfer to another program without penalty.
The 6-foot-8, 230 lb, McLaurin was a good player for the Chanticleers. (Any excuse to write CCU’s nickname is a good one.) He averaged 9.7 points, 7.6 boards and 1.8 blocks. He’ll be a serviceable rotation big man for John Groce’s team, but his addition is little more than added depth for the Illini.
So why has his decision been such a big deal?
Because his announcement was on twitter. And it was epic:
Hilarious. If you do a bit of twitter-stalking, you’ll see that Sam sent this tweet at 2:29 am after being “at the club in Illinois“. He must have had one heckuva night at the club. I wonder if his decision to commit to the Illini came after Brandon Paul said, “F— it, I’m ordering some pizza.” Late night ‘za is the key to landing any recruit.
I have a feeling that Illini fans are going to like this kid. It’s worth noting that he did apologize for the language in his next tweet, although I don’t think anyone can blame him about being excited for getting to blame his final year of college hoops in the Big Ten.
(Family friendly image of the tweet courtesy of The Dagger)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte