May 4, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
The Gonzaga Bulldogs have always been comfortable with an international roster. Last season, the roster was almost perfectly divided – the Zags could have played a US vs. World scrimmage last season, had they cared for such a gimmick.
With Vancouver’s Robert Sacre graduating, the Zags needed size and, presumably, another foreign-born player. They served both needs this week, locking down a commitment from gargantuan Polish import Przemek Karnowski. The first commit of Gonzaga’s Class of 2012 stands 7’1″ and weighs 280 lbs. He was coveted by Duke, but turned down a chance to visit the ACC school, narrowing his choices to West Coast powers Cal and Gonzaga before jumping the Bulldogs’ way.
Karnowski corresponded with the Spokane Spokesman-Review via email this week. “I want to help the team with my low-post game and also I really like to pass from the post to the weak side for the 3-pointer,” Karnowski wrote in an email. “I want to work on improving my body, that’s my main goal for next year. I also want to work on my right hand and my defense.”
Karnowski comes ready to work, from the sound of things. At least one recruiting service ranked him #1 out of this year’s crop of European players. If he pans out as a pivot in his first season, talented big men like Elias Harris (pictured) may be freed to play multiple positions, creating nasty matchup problems for smaller opponents.
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (4)
- The Big Ten is setting records for their revenue (3)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement