May 5, 2012, 11:58 AM EST
It’s only fitting that the head coaches of the two largest college basketball programs in the state of Kentucky have a part in the Kentucky Derby.
Rick Pitino, who led his Louisville Cardinals to the Final Four this past season, is picking Daddy Nose Best to win Saturday afternoon’s race at Churchill Downs, according to Jody Demling of the Louisville Courier-Journal.
Odds for Daddy Nose Best are set at 50-1.
Coverage is taking place all day, leading up to the race on the NBC family of networks. From 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., the NBC Sports Network will bring you pre-race analysis, before switching over to NBC at 4 p.m. to lead you into the race at 5 o’clock.
John Calipari, fresh off his national championship season at Kentucky and one day after visiting with President Obama at the White House, will give the ceremonial “Riders up!” cue at 6:15 p.m.
The odds-on favorite to win Saturday’s race is Bodemeister, with odds set at 4-1. The horse is named after the trainer’s 7-year-old son, Bode, who gets his name from Olympic skier Bode Miller.
The Kentucky Derby will be just Bodemeister’s fifth race. Union Rags and Gemologist are also among popular picks to win on Saturday.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)