May 5, 2012, 11:58 AM EDT
It’s only fitting that the head coaches of the two largest college basketball programs in the state of Kentucky have a part in the Kentucky Derby.
Rick Pitino, who led his Louisville Cardinals to the Final Four this past season, is picking Daddy Nose Best to win Saturday afternoon’s race at Churchill Downs, according to Jody Demling of the Louisville Courier-Journal.
Odds for Daddy Nose Best are set at 50-1.
Coverage is taking place all day, leading up to the race on the NBC family of networks. From 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., the NBC Sports Network will bring you pre-race analysis, before switching over to NBC at 4 p.m. to lead you into the race at 5 o’clock.
John Calipari, fresh off his national championship season at Kentucky and one day after visiting with President Obama at the White House, will give the ceremonial “Riders up!” cue at 6:15 p.m.
The odds-on favorite to win Saturday’s race is Bodemeister, with odds set at 4-1. The horse is named after the trainer’s 7-year-old son, Bode, who gets his name from Olympic skier Bode Miller.
The Kentucky Derby will be just Bodemeister’s fifth race. Union Rags and Gemologist are also among popular picks to win on Saturday.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)