May 5, 2012, 11:58 AM EST
It’s only fitting that the head coaches of the two largest college basketball programs in the state of Kentucky have a part in the Kentucky Derby.
Rick Pitino, who led his Louisville Cardinals to the Final Four this past season, is picking Daddy Nose Best to win Saturday afternoon’s race at Churchill Downs, according to Jody Demling of the Louisville Courier-Journal.
Odds for Daddy Nose Best are set at 50-1.
Coverage is taking place all day, leading up to the race on the NBC family of networks. From 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., the NBC Sports Network will bring you pre-race analysis, before switching over to NBC at 4 p.m. to lead you into the race at 5 o’clock.
John Calipari, fresh off his national championship season at Kentucky and one day after visiting with President Obama at the White House, will give the ceremonial “Riders up!” cue at 6:15 p.m.
The odds-on favorite to win Saturday’s race is Bodemeister, with odds set at 4-1. The horse is named after the trainer’s 7-year-old son, Bode, who gets his name from Olympic skier Bode Miller.
The Kentucky Derby will be just Bodemeister’s fifth race. Union Rags and Gemologist are also among popular picks to win on Saturday.
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 0
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)