May 5, 2012, 6:33 PM EST
Trent Lockett was a good get for Arizona State in 2009. A big guard at 6’4″, he developed into a consistent scorer over the past three years. Last season, he averaged 13 points per game and mixed in a nice all-around game of deep shooting (41% from behind the arc) and rebounding (he led the Sun Devils with 5.8 rpg). His abilities have been somewhat obscured by the weak national profile of ASU and the Pac-12.
Lockett has announced that he’s leaving Tempe, but it’s not for selfish reasons. His mother, who lives in Minnesota, has been diagnosed with cancer. Even though Lockett has earned his degree from ASU and could have left for grad school elsewhere on those terms, he seems reluctant to leave after his three-year stint in the desert, according to the New York Times Quad blog:
In a statement released by Arizona State, Lockett thanked everyone involved in his career at the school and said the transfer was the hardest decision he’s had to make. He said that while his decision is based on his mother’s health, he also wanted to make a good basketball decision and Marquette is a great place to end his career.
Playing for Buzz Williams will likely give Lockett a happy ending to his collegiate career. Here’s hoping his family health situation has a good outlook as well.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 18
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (19)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)