May 5, 2012, 6:33 PM EDT
Trent Lockett was a good get for Arizona State in 2009. A big guard at 6’4″, he developed into a consistent scorer over the past three years. Last season, he averaged 13 points per game and mixed in a nice all-around game of deep shooting (41% from behind the arc) and rebounding (he led the Sun Devils with 5.8 rpg). His abilities have been somewhat obscured by the weak national profile of ASU and the Pac-12.
Lockett has announced that he’s leaving Tempe, but it’s not for selfish reasons. His mother, who lives in Minnesota, has been diagnosed with cancer. Even though Lockett has earned his degree from ASU and could have left for grad school elsewhere on those terms, he seems reluctant to leave after his three-year stint in the desert, according to the New York Times Quad blog:
In a statement released by Arizona State, Lockett thanked everyone involved in his career at the school and said the transfer was the hardest decision he’s had to make. He said that while his decision is based on his mother’s health, he also wanted to make a good basketball decision and Marquette is a great place to end his career.
Playing for Buzz Williams will likely give Lockett a happy ending to his collegiate career. Here’s hoping his family health situation has a good outlook as well.
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 1
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Bobby Portis announces that he is turning pro 0
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)