May 5, 2012, 6:33 PM EDT
Trent Lockett was a good get for Arizona State in 2009. A big guard at 6’4″, he developed into a consistent scorer over the past three years. Last season, he averaged 13 points per game and mixed in a nice all-around game of deep shooting (41% from behind the arc) and rebounding (he led the Sun Devils with 5.8 rpg). His abilities have been somewhat obscured by the weak national profile of ASU and the Pac-12.
Lockett has announced that he’s leaving Tempe, but it’s not for selfish reasons. His mother, who lives in Minnesota, has been diagnosed with cancer. Even though Lockett has earned his degree from ASU and could have left for grad school elsewhere on those terms, he seems reluctant to leave after his three-year stint in the desert, according to the New York Times Quad blog:
In a statement released by Arizona State, Lockett thanked everyone involved in his career at the school and said the transfer was the hardest decision he’s had to make. He said that while his decision is based on his mother’s health, he also wanted to make a good basketball decision and Marquette is a great place to end his career.
Playing for Buzz Williams will likely give Lockett a happy ending to his collegiate career. Here’s hoping his family health situation has a good outlook as well.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)