May 5, 2012, 6:33 PM EST
Trent Lockett was a good get for Arizona State in 2009. A big guard at 6’4″, he developed into a consistent scorer over the past three years. Last season, he averaged 13 points per game and mixed in a nice all-around game of deep shooting (41% from behind the arc) and rebounding (he led the Sun Devils with 5.8 rpg). His abilities have been somewhat obscured by the weak national profile of ASU and the Pac-12.
Lockett has announced that he’s leaving Tempe, but it’s not for selfish reasons. His mother, who lives in Minnesota, has been diagnosed with cancer. Even though Lockett has earned his degree from ASU and could have left for grad school elsewhere on those terms, he seems reluctant to leave after his three-year stint in the desert, according to the New York Times Quad blog:
In a statement released by Arizona State, Lockett thanked everyone involved in his career at the school and said the transfer was the hardest decision he’s had to make. He said that while his decision is based on his mother’s health, he also wanted to make a good basketball decision and Marquette is a great place to end his career.
Playing for Buzz Williams will likely give Lockett a happy ending to his collegiate career. Here’s hoping his family health situation has a good outlook as well.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 7
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (8)
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Can the ACC produce four Final Four teams? (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Report: Kansas transfer Conner Frankamp considering Colorado, Wichita State (3)