May 5, 2012, 6:33 PM EDT
Trent Lockett was a good get for Arizona State in 2009. A big guard at 6’4″, he developed into a consistent scorer over the past three years. Last season, he averaged 13 points per game and mixed in a nice all-around game of deep shooting (41% from behind the arc) and rebounding (he led the Sun Devils with 5.8 rpg). His abilities have been somewhat obscured by the weak national profile of ASU and the Pac-12.
Lockett has announced that he’s leaving Tempe, but it’s not for selfish reasons. His mother, who lives in Minnesota, has been diagnosed with cancer. Even though Lockett has earned his degree from ASU and could have left for grad school elsewhere on those terms, he seems reluctant to leave after his three-year stint in the desert, according to the New York Times Quad blog:
In a statement released by Arizona State, Lockett thanked everyone involved in his career at the school and said the transfer was the hardest decision he’s had to make. He said that while his decision is based on his mother’s health, he also wanted to make a good basketball decision and Marquette is a great place to end his career.
Playing for Buzz Williams will likely give Lockett a happy ending to his collegiate career. Here’s hoping his family health situation has a good outlook as well.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)