May 6, 2012, 2:09 PM EDT
It’s almost a foregone conclusion that former Kentucky Wildcat Anthony Davis will go first overall in the 2012 NBA draft. But, after him, who has the most pro potential?
The junior, Robinson, is of a different mold than many near the top of the draft, as he stayed behind older players at Kansas before he got his chance this past season. And he capitalized.
He averaged 17.9 points and 11.8 rebounds for a Kansas team that, against many early season projections, made its way to the national championship game, before losing to Kentucky.
Robinson has an NBA-ready body at 6-10, 237, but did not shoot a high percentage in NCAA tournament games when he was challenged on the block.
Kidd-Gilchrist has already been tabbed by many as the most pro-ready player other than Anthony Davis on the 2011-12 Kentucky roster.
He, too, has a pro-ready body for the small forward position and attacks the basket as well or can get out in transition. His athleticism allows him to bring it on both ends of the floor and teams at the high end of the draft could be looking for a player with his base of skills, including Sacramento, New Orleans, or Portland.
Potential continues to be the word surrounding Drummond, who averaged 10.2 points and 7.7 rebounds in his freshman season with Connecticut.
Some have gone as far as to say that Drummond “would lose an NBA GM his job,” presumably for being drafted so high and perhaps not producing.
He has the athleticism and he showed the ability to block shots, but questions about his work ethic and maturity have not faded. He still needs to work on his back-to-the-basket game, but is impressive above the rim.
Others: Brad Beal, Florida | Harrison Barnes, North Carolina
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4