May 6, 2012, 4:47 PM EDT
Durley, who played his high school basketball alongside Texas signee and McDonald’s All American Cameron Ridley, gives first-year head coach Trent Johnson a much-needed big man.
“Aaron will be a great addition to our program both as a player and as a person,” Johnson said. “He is a high-character individual who comes from a strong family, so he will fit into the culture that we intend to reinforce within our program. As a player, Aaron is a big, physical guy who plays a position that we identified as a need on our basketball team. He is the level of athlete who will help us make the transition to playing in the Big 12 Conference.”
Before Durley’s commitment the tallest played on TCU’s 2012-13 roster was 6-9 forward Amric Fields, but at 210 pounds Fields is a bit slender when compared to the big men TCU will encounter in the Big 12.
If anything Durley’s arrival would allow Fields, who led TCU in blocked shots in 2011-12 and was named Mountain West Sixth Man of the Year, to avoid defending bigger opponents in the paint (he averaged just 2.5 rebounds per game last season).
Durley joins a TCU 2012 class that’s now four deep, and along with Antelope Valley CC product Reggie Murphy he’ll need to help the Horned Frogs account for the departure of leading rebounder J.R. Cadot (7.0 rpg).
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)