May 6, 2012, 4:47 PM EST
Durley, who played his high school basketball alongside Texas signee and McDonald’s All American Cameron Ridley, gives first-year head coach Trent Johnson a much-needed big man.
“Aaron will be a great addition to our program both as a player and as a person,” Johnson said. “He is a high-character individual who comes from a strong family, so he will fit into the culture that we intend to reinforce within our program. As a player, Aaron is a big, physical guy who plays a position that we identified as a need on our basketball team. He is the level of athlete who will help us make the transition to playing in the Big 12 Conference.”
Before Durley’s commitment the tallest played on TCU’s 2012-13 roster was 6-9 forward Amric Fields, but at 210 pounds Fields is a bit slender when compared to the big men TCU will encounter in the Big 12.
If anything Durley’s arrival would allow Fields, who led TCU in blocked shots in 2011-12 and was named Mountain West Sixth Man of the Year, to avoid defending bigger opponents in the paint (he averaged just 2.5 rebounds per game last season).
Durley joins a TCU 2012 class that’s now four deep, and along with Antelope Valley CC product Reggie Murphy he’ll need to help the Horned Frogs account for the departure of leading rebounder J.R. Cadot (7.0 rpg).
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Players 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 20 Most Improved Players 2
- College Hoops Week in Review: Wisconsin’s for real, and so is Chaz Williams 1
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role (2)