May 6, 2012, 4:47 PM EDT
Durley, who played his high school basketball alongside Texas signee and McDonald’s All American Cameron Ridley, gives first-year head coach Trent Johnson a much-needed big man.
“Aaron will be a great addition to our program both as a player and as a person,” Johnson said. “He is a high-character individual who comes from a strong family, so he will fit into the culture that we intend to reinforce within our program. As a player, Aaron is a big, physical guy who plays a position that we identified as a need on our basketball team. He is the level of athlete who will help us make the transition to playing in the Big 12 Conference.”
Before Durley’s commitment the tallest played on TCU’s 2012-13 roster was 6-9 forward Amric Fields, but at 210 pounds Fields is a bit slender when compared to the big men TCU will encounter in the Big 12.
If anything Durley’s arrival would allow Fields, who led TCU in blocked shots in 2011-12 and was named Mountain West Sixth Man of the Year, to avoid defending bigger opponents in the paint (he averaged just 2.5 rebounds per game last season).
Durley joins a TCU 2012 class that’s now four deep, and along with Antelope Valley CC product Reggie Murphy he’ll need to help the Horned Frogs account for the departure of leading rebounder J.R. Cadot (7.0 rpg).
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)