May 6, 2012, 4:47 PM EDT
Durley, who played his high school basketball alongside Texas signee and McDonald’s All American Cameron Ridley, gives first-year head coach Trent Johnson a much-needed big man.
“Aaron will be a great addition to our program both as a player and as a person,” Johnson said. “He is a high-character individual who comes from a strong family, so he will fit into the culture that we intend to reinforce within our program. As a player, Aaron is a big, physical guy who plays a position that we identified as a need on our basketball team. He is the level of athlete who will help us make the transition to playing in the Big 12 Conference.”
Before Durley’s commitment the tallest played on TCU’s 2012-13 roster was 6-9 forward Amric Fields, but at 210 pounds Fields is a bit slender when compared to the big men TCU will encounter in the Big 12.
If anything Durley’s arrival would allow Fields, who led TCU in blocked shots in 2011-12 and was named Mountain West Sixth Man of the Year, to avoid defending bigger opponents in the paint (he averaged just 2.5 rebounds per game last season).
Durley joins a TCU 2012 class that’s now four deep, and along with Antelope Valley CC product Reggie Murphy he’ll need to help the Horned Frogs account for the departure of leading rebounder J.R. Cadot (7.0 rpg).
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 0
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 4
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)