May 6, 2012, 4:47 PM EDT
Durley, who played his high school basketball alongside Texas signee and McDonald’s All American Cameron Ridley, gives first-year head coach Trent Johnson a much-needed big man.
“Aaron will be a great addition to our program both as a player and as a person,” Johnson said. “He is a high-character individual who comes from a strong family, so he will fit into the culture that we intend to reinforce within our program. As a player, Aaron is a big, physical guy who plays a position that we identified as a need on our basketball team. He is the level of athlete who will help us make the transition to playing in the Big 12 Conference.”
Before Durley’s commitment the tallest played on TCU’s 2012-13 roster was 6-9 forward Amric Fields, but at 210 pounds Fields is a bit slender when compared to the big men TCU will encounter in the Big 12.
If anything Durley’s arrival would allow Fields, who led TCU in blocked shots in 2011-12 and was named Mountain West Sixth Man of the Year, to avoid defending bigger opponents in the paint (he averaged just 2.5 rebounds per game last season).
Durley joins a TCU 2012 class that’s now four deep, and along with Antelope Valley CC product Reggie Murphy he’ll need to help the Horned Frogs account for the departure of leading rebounder J.R. Cadot (7.0 rpg).
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 0
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)