May 6, 2012, 12:25 PM EDT
On the recruiting trail, sometimes information can be like that game “Telephone” that kids play in elementary school.
A college coach tells an AAU coach, who tells a parent, who tells a player, who tells a reporter, and somewhere along the line words get twisted (intentionally or not), overstated or understated.
John Martin of the Commercial Appeal takes some time in a column, published Sunday, to clear up shed a light on the gray areas of recruiting.
Most prominently is the distinction between a scholarship offer and “interest” from a school.
Many times, with phone calls and text messages in constant transit between coaches and prospective recruits, there can be misinterpretation. Memphis coach Josh Pastner explains his method to Martin:
“I think if you call the kid, tell him you have a scholarship offer, that’s pretty clear,” he told the Commercial Appeal. “If you don’t use the word scholarship, it leaves gray area.”
It really starts getting interesting when discussing national letters of intent, which officially bind a school and recruit. NCAA rules keep coaches from talking about prospective recruits until this is signed.
If a player has signed an NLI and the coach they expected to play for is fired, the player must gain a release from the school to play somewhere else.
Former Kansas State commit Robert Upshaw took an unusual route, signing a financial aid agreement, which allowed him more flexibility to leave for when Frank Martin to take the head coaching job at South Carolina.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)