May 6, 2012, 11:26 PM EDT
2012 McDonald’s All America forward Anthony Bennett has trimmed his list to two schools, according to Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv.
Those two schools: UNLV and Oregon.
Bennett eliminated Kentucky on Sunday, a surprise to many who follow recruiting due to the success that John Calipari and his staff have enjoyed during their time in Lexington.
“He really likes Kentucky,” CIA Bounce coaches Tony McIntyre and Mike George told SNY.tv. “He loves what they’re doing there. But Anthony feels it would be a better fit at UNLV or Oregon.”
The decision is more about having an immediate impact than anything, with Kentucky having another freshman in Alex Poythress joining the program.
Florida, who was eliminated on Friday, return starters Erik Murphy and Patric Young in the front court in 2012-13.
Oregon loses three front court players from their 2011-12 team in Olu Ashaolu, Jeremy Jacob and Tyrone Nared. Tony Woods returns to Eugene but there’s a noticeable hole in the lineup with Ashaolu moving on.
As for UNLV, who Bennett and his mother visited over the weekend, they lose Brice Massamba and Chace Stanback with Pittsburgh transfer Khem Birch becoming eligible mid-season.
It remains to be seen who the Findlay (Nev.) Prep product ultimately chooses, with either Oregon or UNLV’s program receiving a major boost as a result.
Photo credit: USA Basketball
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 10
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot