May 6, 2012, 3:04 PM EDT
Xavier transfer Mark Lyons is officially headed to Arizona, he tweeted Sunday afternoon.
“Excited to be a wildcat!!!!!!!” the tweet reads.
Lyons left Xavier in April and it was rumored from the beginning that he could end up at Arizona.
Wildcat coach Sean Miller recruited Lyons while he was the head coach at Xavier, and Lyons will be able to play right away at Arizona, taking advantage of the NCAA’s one-year graduate transfer rule that allows players to play immediately at another institution as they pursue a graduate degree in a field not offered at their current school.
Lyons averaged 15.5 points and 3.4 rebounds this past season for the Musketeers as part of a strong backcourt that also included senior Tu Holloway.
The 6-1, 188-pound native of Schenectady, N.Y., fills a one-year need for Arizona, as they wait for Duquesne transfer TJ McConnell to become eligible.
Of the guards on the Arizona roster in 2011-12, point guard Josiah Turner transferred to Southern Methodist this off-season and Nick Johnson is more of a shooting guard than point guard.
Arizona is bringing in a Top 3 recruiting class in the country, in addition to Lyons, with the emphasis on size. Forwards Grant Jarrett, Matt Korcheck, and Brandon Ashley join center Kaleb Tarczewski in the frontcourt, and high-flying Gabe York comes in at the shooting guard position.
The Wildcats finished 23-12 this past season and lost in the first round of the NIT to Bucknell.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)