May 7, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Wesley Witherspoon had an interesting Saturday.
The 6-foot-9 combo-forward graduated from the University of Memphis early in the day, a ceremony that was attended by head coach Josh Pastner, who Witherspoon had not always seen eye-to-eye with. And as any kid would do, Witherspoon celebrated that night, apparently by heading out on Beale Street.
How do we know that? Because at 4:30 am on Sunday morning, Witherspoon was arrested by MPD. He apparently was outside BB King’s Blues Club at Second and Beale when a fight broke out. Witherspoon was in the street, and the cops apparently did not like that. He was arrested and charged with obstructing a highway or passageway. He was still in jail on Sunday afternoon.
But during Witherspoon’s court appearance on Monday, the charges were dismissed because, as his defense attorney argued, Witherspoon’s actions were not a criminal act and an arrest “was not called for under the circumstances.”
At least he still has his diploma.
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- George Washington joins ‘cool court club’, redesigns home floor 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 12
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins